
This book is great. Except that I can't recommend it to anyone.
The language is so foul, the conversations so...inappropriate, that I think it might offend most people I know.
I've tried to think if the book would be as effective without all the reference to sex. Maybe. But, the author, Benioff, would have had to create a different character than Koyla, the totally charming, reckless, and brave deserter who accompanies the narrator, Lev, on a mission to find a dozen eggs for a colonel's daughter's wedding cake. Koyla, as offensive as he is, needs to be there. His levity, during situations where no levity should be possible, push a hard story into its heartwarming category. Because, crazily enough, this rough, distasteful, harsh book that is filled with starvation, winter, war, cruelty, death, murder...almost everything bad that you can think of, ends up being...well...touching.
I shouldn't have liked it. But I did.
Even Koyla.
Especially Koyla.
Friday, August 28, 2009
Book Review #72 - City of Thieves
Posted by
Lucy
at
9:39 PM
Labels: Book Review
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
I think I'll have to try this one out. Nothing I like more than the possibility of being offended!! And if you say you ended up liking it, it must have some sort of merit.
I'm still haunted by this book. Loved it too. But don't tell anyone. :)
This book showed up on my hold shelf the other day. I had ZERO memory of putting it on hold for myself. Hmmmmmm. It did look interesting, though; yet, I put it back for the next person on the hold list to read. Not sure why.
Now I wish I would have.
Your review reminded me of a character in Everything is Illuminated. He has the foulest mouth. But his vulgarities are so funny, because of his broken English, you love him anyway.
Personally (although, I AM both a book snob and a rebel) I don't think that a bunch of sex automatically makes a book not good. In my mind, it goes back to the author's intent for the writing. Books with a plot whose purpose is to get you into bed with the characters because the author wants to write a sex scene....hmmm, not so much. (Like the school counciller in Ten Things I Hate About You? That kind of book.) But when the sex is part of the story, it doesn't bother me as much.
Plus, there's skimming.
At any rate, I have now put myself back on the hold list for this one. At least when it comes back up again, I'll remember why!
It does have merit. As WWII weary as I am (and I am weary) this is a fresh look. But, it's not really about the war, though Russia's struggles with Germany is in the background. It's about friendship. And, yes, Gerbera Daisy, I think this book will haunt me for a long time.
Oh, and Amy, I totally agree with you about sex in books. But, I have to mention it, because I know a lot of people, who steer clear of that subject matter. And, I certainly don't blame them. I think most are doing their best to follow counsel.
I want you to read this book and tell me if you think all the sexual banter (and it's men banter - talking about conquests etc...instructing Lev, who is a virgin, on things) is necessary or gratuitous. It's hard, because it's part of who Koyla is, but, it's not really necessary. I think. It's confusing. Come on, wise librarian, tell me if it is!
Amy, I loved that character in Everything is Illuminated. He was hilarious, and made the book (in my opinion). And somehow, Lucy, in the first reading of the review I didn't realize this was a WWII story. Knowing that makes me want to read it even more.
I love these discussions. Wish we could do them in person!!! :)
This is funny that I'm finally reading your blog after just getting off of the phone with my sister. Today's my dad's birthday and she mentioned that she sent him THIS book. I asked her if she'd read it. She said, "No, but I've heard such great things and it was in the children's section at Sam's Club, so I got it knowing that Dad likes light reads." I about choked on my Diet Coke. I said, "First of all. Call Mom and intercept it. Then call Sam's and tell them to get it out of the children's books."
I loved this book. Ryan loved this book. Sorry to give you such a naughty book, but I'm glad you liked it, too.
Post a Comment