Ahhh....the season went so fast! I know they are having a fall show and all, but the finale? Already? Seems like we just got started.
I enjoyed tonight's finale. I LOVED having it at a large theater like the Kodak. Especially because it seems the venue made it impossible for the cameras to jerk me around like they like to do. I feel like I saw most of the dances and I liked what I saw.
First of all, I think Adam Shankman is my favorite guest judge. He brings such a humble joy to the judges table that every other ego maniac lacks. I enjoy his unbridled enthusiasm. I am a fan of his gushing. And I think his criticisms are fair.
Second of all, I think he stole a lot of Mary's thunder. Mary has always been able to be the emotional shouter and after Adam's squealing and standing, Mary just seemed to be copying. Even her patented hot tamale scream seemed staged, somehow.
Lastly (at least in the judges comments), when did Nigel turn into such a creepy lecher? I'm not joking, the big toothed Brit made some kind of leering comment about Jeanine or Kayla after every dance. Gross. Please stop.
Now onto the dancing. I can't believe how underwhelming Wade's routine was. I missed his kooky music and costumes. Obviously, choreographers like to try new things, but the routine seemed so mainstream, and so acted, that the dancing itself seemed almost secondary. It wasn't my favorite, and Wade is almost always my favorite.
Sonja's routine with Evan and Jeanine put the smile back on my face, however. Sonja definitely has a trademark style, and the same moves seem to show up in routine after routine, but I guess I like them enough to not tire of them. I agree with the judges that making up a dance about a girl who beats up on a wimpier guy was perfect for Evan. I'm annoyed that he's in the finale. He's turned into kind of a one trick pony, after seeming so versatile in Vegas, that I was happy for him to fit into a dance so well. Jeanine, of course, rocked it. Everything she touches seems to turn into gold.
I think, overall, this season had too much Tyce. When Cat announced Brandon and Kayla would have him as their choreographer, I audibly sighed thinking it would be a wasted opportunity for their considerable talent. Thankfully, he upped the ante a little bit and had them do something more than jazz hands and pulling faces. Still, I didn't like the music, didn't understand the costumes, and the story was never fully explained to me. But the dancing was great.
Now, Evan might not have a nasty bone in his body, but I thought he danced the boys routine almost as well as Brandon. He has moves! I don't know if you remember Benji from season 2, but he couldn't pull off a tough guy either, and audiences loved him. I think Evan has some of that same charm. I loved the choreography and wished the judges hadn't made such a big deal about Evan's sweetness. Brandon seemed a bit uncomfortable with all the Evan criticism too. I wonder if they've bonded this week?
As far as the girls go, I know Jeanine had a super show, but dancing side by side with Kayla, I saw a difference in fluidity of motion and interpretation. Hands down, I preferred Kayla to Jeanine. Kayla's motion, and her stillness, looked superior to me. The piece was interesting, and Mia is a genius (yada, yada, yada - can't have a show where that fact isn't stated at least once) but the unsnapping of so many skirts was risky and both Kayla and Jeanine fumbled at different times. I'm sure the dancers stumble in almost every dance, but when it's as obvious as missing a snap (because while we might all not know what a perfect arabesque looks like, we do know what unsnapping something on beat is supposed to look like), the entire dance seems less polished.
Evan and Kayla. Those are two dancers that are not supposed to dance together. They managed to maniuplate the heigh difference with a barefoot waltz a couple of weeks ago, but, I'm sorry, they did not pull off this jive in cowboy boots. I can't believe none of the judges mentioned how awkward she looked doing foot retractions in her ankle disguising clunky boots. I keep trying to think of what ballroom dance would have been better for this pair, but I can't think of one, so, I suppose jive was it. So...cowboy boots I got. It's too bad for both of them that this was their last dance.
No 12 episode dance show should have three paso dobles, but thank goodness there was finally a good one! The music (intense), the costumes (they looked like vampires!) and the dancing all added up to eye glue. I could not take my eyes off of them. There weren't even any fancy tricks to make me ooh and aah. In fact, after watching the practice interviews, it seems they left some of the lifts out, but both Brandon and Jeanine are good enough performers that I totally bought this bull-fighting-or-whatever-it's-supposed-to-mean death dance.
As far as solos go, I did get goosepimply when Jeanette danced. I wish I liked her better. I've tried to pinpoint what it is about her that keeps me from being a believer, and all I can say is....it's her. Her neck, her big hair, her punch-you-in-the-arm personality. I don't know. Something. But, she had a great night and she just might win.
But, then again...so could Evan. Like I said earlier, he's this year's Benji (I don't know why they kept saying they had never had a dancer like him before. Has no one ever seen this show before???? Hello!)
Obviously, Brandon could. I've never been so confused about a dancer. He's all muscles and power and brutish man when he dances, and yet each interview he gives makes me think he just might have a few stuffed animals on his bed.
Me? I'm rooting for Kayla. She lacks in personality what a winner should probably have, but she's just everything I enjoy watching. She's my favorite dancer. Not my favorite television personality, but there is no dancer I would prefer to see in any dance, any style, any partner (except when she's paired with Evan), than her. Go Kayla!
Well...I'm water logged and bloated now and the boss wants me to get back to work. It feels so incredibly unnecessary to write about this show. I mean, I'm already admitting to some major time wasting by watching the three hours every week (although, to be fair, with DVR it's really only about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Sorry to you without DVRs.) Then, I can't imagine I, or any posterity, will care about these thoughts about a TV show in the future. Who? What? Why? Exactly.
Still...I've enjoyed our gatherings at the water cooler. It almost....almost feels like I'm actually standing next to one with some of my favorite co-time wasters:)
Wednesday, August 05, 2009
One Last Drink
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


13 comments:
I love your post and I love how much you love the show. I wish we were in the same room, drinking Diet Coke, and rooting on Kayla together. That would be so fun. Oh, by the way, there's another "mother bird" in the nest-that makes 3. My mom told me that I should send you a picture-haha. Can't wait til tomorrow!!
Keep those freaky birds to yourself! You must be able to stand it because you come in through the garage because walking past those birds, that close up, gives me the willies!!
Sigh...I wish you were here too.
Oh Lucy, I so agree with you about the "nasty boys" routine. I was so perturbed with the judges that saying that they just couldn't get past Evan's sweetness, that they didn't say a word about Brandon's dancing. Please, give it a rest! Did Evan dance it well, especially for Evan? I mean, come on. And why is it that the choreographer, knowing how Evan is, chose that song? Can anyone say, set up? Please.
Well, I could go on, but the comments section is really not the place. Suffice to say, I agree, at least with most of what you say! ;)
Great review of last night! I was so annoyed because I felt like the powers that be on this show have their favorites...obviously Brandon and Jeanine... and all the dances/music played to their strengths and put the spotlight on them...leaving Kayla (my favorite) in the shadows.
I think that Kayla is by far is the best dancer. I have loved almost all of the dances she has been in. I think she is the most underrated dancer on the show. Maybe she doesn't show her own personality all the time but she does represent the character's personality in whatever dance she does. I have particularly loved the Kayla/Max pop jazz number about the princess and the jester. I also loved the Kayla/Kupono Vampire dance and of course the Addiction number.
Jeannine bugs me. She is too aggressive. She might have "peaked" in the last few weeks but people like Kayla and Brandon have been on fire all season. In my opinion she doesn't deserve to win.
Yes, Evan should have left last week. I really wish Ade was still in the competition. I would've loved to have seen him dance with Kayla...which he never did.
Brandon is a fantastic dancer and while I agree with your suspicions about stuffed animals on his bed I think he will probably win. How can he be so powerful and masculine a dancer and so giggly and fluffy in person? I guess that is ACTING!!
And yes...Nigel is a perv.
I want Kayla to win but I think Brandon will. I DO NOT want Jeannine to win...not at all.
I truly love your detailed reviews of the show.
I agree with Kristin that Ade should have been in the finale instead of Evan. I like Evan, but he's just not as versatile and enjoyable to watch. And he always makes me nervous on lifts because he's just not as strong as the other two were.
And I guess I'm in a minority because I like Jeanine better than Kayla. Both are so fun to watch, but Jeanine brings more personality (and I'm not just saying that to copy Nigel who WAS indeed extraordinarily creepy last night with all his little comments).
I'm excited to watch tonight's show.
Kristin....THANK YOU! I haven't been able to say what bothers me about Jeanine, but now that you've pointed it out, yes, it's that she's too aggressive. Every dance that she's shone in, she's been really tough and...aggressive. I think that's it.
Of course, that doesn't mean that she's not a phenomenal dancer. That pirouette she did during her solo was crazy good.
thank you for helping me with what I thought:)
I'm so sad that Ade and Kayla never got to dance together. I hadn't realized that. Ade would have made the finale so much more exciting. The boys routine would have been so much better, and Meridith and Tony would have had a lot more options had they had a Kayla/Ade pairing instead of an Evan/Kayla. I still can't think of a single ballroom dance that would have been better than that awful jive. I really think they were trying to play to Evan's strengths.
We only got half of last night's show due to DVR malfunction. BIG bummer! So I only caught from Mia's routine on.
I completely agree with you on Adam. Definitely the best guest judge.
If there was too much Tyce then there was WAY too much ballroom in general this season. I was growing so tired of all of it. Didn't it seem that contemporary was held to a minimum? That's definitely my favorite style.
Evan has no business being in the final four but I do think the judges are and always have been way too hard on him. I think it's making his fans vote that much more frantically and that's why he's still there.
You're right, Kayla was better on Mia's routine. But, they were way too nice to her after that jive. I actually thought Evan did better than her. And I don't get Nigel's lack of personality thing at all. I've never felt that she lacked personality.
In the end, if I were a voter, which of course I'm not, mine would be cast for Brandon. But Ade was really my favorite. Poor guy was robbed.
I am totally with you about Kayla I truely think she out danced everyone hands down. But, I knew that the people tend to be persuaded by the judges and personality definitely plays a HUGE roll.
While Kayla shines in the dance world, Jeanine just had more personality. I literally gasped when Evan made it to the top 4. In my opinion he should have been gone 2 weeks ago.
As for Brandon him and Ade were my favorite males so I was okay with either one in the finale but happy to see Brandon made the cut. Like you I am sad that the show is over but just think Sept 2 it starts all over again! Yay! I will be interested to see how Evan's brother does.....
ps what was up with Nigel's botox comment about Mary. Strange cookie that man is. And the you can hardly call the judges dancing in the "chorus line" piece. Who doesn't know how to walk and pose?? Lame if you ask me. I think Wade got snubbed this year. 2 of the dances were definitely more memorable then some of the ones they showed.
Oh, well. Okay I wlll give you back your blog :)
Jeanine!! You've.Got.To.Be.Kidding.
In my opinion, the one that should have one is Janette, who danced everything perfectly, and is "only" a ballroom dancer. Awesome.
Once Kayla got 4th place, my heart just wasn't into it anymore. I was rooting for Ade the entire season, then Kayla, then Melissa and I clearly do not see what so many people see in Jeanine.
I was sad they didn't do a few of my favorite dances either. I would have loved to have seen some of Wade's work (Crash Test Dummies, Ruby Blue, or the Japanese group number). Shane Spark's Zombie Hip Hop routine would have been great too.
Overall, though, it was a great finale. I could have done without seeing the Boys' Crew, as the dancing wasn't really spectacular, they just had a cute 7 year-old, and, of course, all the Fame plugging.
I'd be disappointed, but can't think of a season when the best dancer actually won - so I suppose it's just staying true to itself:)
I'm so late in replying...but hopefully you'll read this, Lucy!
I loved Jeanine. I know, I know, I know! As far as her being aggressive, true, I think it's also why Kayla couldn't get it out there, as she was too passive. Now, who's the BEST dancer? That has to go to Kayla or Brandon. Hands down, they were awesome.
But, who's "America's FAVORITE dancer?" Well, that's easy - Jeanine. It was always Jeanine. She's cute, funny, super self-depreciating, and yeah, she can dance!
And well, Evan, was def a one trick pony. I see what you're saying about him and Benji being a lot alike, but Benji could DANCE. He couldn't krump or whatever, but very few can. I still watch his finale dance with Travis when the did the Tranji - still one of my favs. You have to youtube it!
Also - I really didn't need to see those kids/crew again - boring. was is the exact same routine? And the Fame was stuff was lamo - tho it's cool that Carrington is in it! I liked her last season.
I wish they'd talk more about where all the other winners are now. Or maybe I missed that somewhere?
Can't wait for next season, but I'm a jerk and am not rooting for Evan 2.0! Whatever his brother's name is! Booo....I'm a jerk!
Post a Comment