
I think I am the most sad about leaving this review for too long. Because I had some thoughts about this that would make an interesting discussion. I'll attempt to resurrect some of those thoughts, but it might not be pretty.
I read this on Barb's suggestion, as the author is Canadian and the book was assigned to her high school daughter as a replacement for another book that had offensive material in it. Barb's review mentioned that she didn't think the teacher really understood her objections if this was considered appropriate.
If that is in fact what Barb thought (sorry Barb - I'm paraphrasing from memory. Please correct me if I'm wrong), then I couldn't agree more. This is a great book, but its lessons and themes are not what high school students should be studying or focusing on.
I love the whole idea of Fifth Business, which the author defines as a theatrical term used to label a character essential to the action but not a principal. Dunstan Ramsay, in a letter to the Headmaster after being disappointed by the school newspaper's article on his retirement, proceeds to give an account of his much-more-interesting-than-they-gave-him-credit-for life as a periphery character, a sidekick, if you will, to some very colorful and interesting leads.
What makes it inappropriate for high school students is the recurring theme of sex. It's not written gratuitously, but most people have sex and have issues with sex in their lives, and part of Ramsay's experiences or thoughts, center on his understanding of this act at various stages in his life. They are honest and worthy of thought and discussion....but not in high school! There is no depth of experience, even if someone that age has had sex, to understand the complexities of its power.
However, if you're not in high school, and want to read a well crafted novel about what makes us who we become, give Robertson Davis's Fifth Business a try.
Friday, August 28, 2009
Book Review #70 - Fifth Business
Posted by
Lucy
at
9:04 PM
Labels: Book Review
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I read some Robertson Davies for one of my contemporary lit courses. What's Bred in The Bone was my favorite. I've not read this one, though.
I'm curious to know what the OTHER novel was! (The one the teacher originally assigned.) I don't think I'd have any teenagers reading Robertson Davies, even w/out any sex (I can't remember, honestly, if What's Bred in The Bone had any), because I think he's more complicated than they'd understand.
I don't know what the other novel was, but it is complicated. In a good way. I really liked it, but thought throughout my entire reading, "I do not think a high schooler should read this!"
I think you nailed it, Lucy. I liked so much about this book but not for high school... interestingly it seems that this year the teacher has come around. I hope it was my reasonable arguments.
Post a Comment