When it comes to conflict, I am not a good communicator. Conversely, if I'm feeling particularly loving, or proud, or content with someone, I almost always express it with words. Much more so than with other forms of communication like touch or gifts or acts of service. My kids and my husband probably get sick of me telling them I love them. I do, and I tell them so frequently. Perhaps it makes some friends uncomfortable, but if I love them, I'll them them so. I'm gushy like that.
Not so when I'm unhappy, disappointed or frustrated. I am annoyingly silent. I cannot share how I feel. I feel actual pain and panic when asked to do so. I am broody and impatient until I am over it and maybe then (actually... really only then), can I use some past participles to explain what the problem was.
I find this inconsistency in my communication skills troublesome. I just finished reading a speech book where the author claims, "if your child isn't using words then he/she probably can't. Words are the best, most efficient way for them to get what they want or need and almost every child will choose words over gestures, grunts and tantrums when they are able."
Interesting. If this is true, when did I make the switch to being the type to give the silent treatment?
It's not like I mask my true feelings. I do all the grunting (hmmph), gestures (eye roll) and tantrums (just how loudly can I unload this dishwasher?). If I'm hurt or bugged, I can give a cold shoulder with the best of them.
To complicate matters, I am also a venter. Some poor third party usually gets a face full of steam when I need to find release. There are a few of you out there who have extremely open pores.
I'm not aiming to be confrontational. I do not admire people who willy-nilly say exactly how they feel whenever they feel it...etiquette, privacy and the feelings of the other person be damned. I see you at restaurants yelling at the waitress and I think you're mean. I listen to you bark at your husband like a child and I feel sorry for him. No, I do not want to be like you, even if you get everything off your chest immediately.
Instead, I'd like to be the kind of person who can calmly explain her grievances without being overly emotional. I've read about "I statements", and while they seem nerdy and bookish, there are those who swear they work. I can't imagine using them in the heat of the moment, though. So, when do I make the transition from silence to speech?
Normally, this is the time where I would explain my point by giving details. And, believe me, I have lots of details I could share. But, I need to do my homework for Speech 101 and practice using my words. The people I love deserve more than grunts and gestures.
Sunday, February 03, 2008
My Own Speech Therapy
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


13 comments:
wow. i have never thought about it in that way but i think i am a silent treatment type too.
i am a venter as well.
your words struck me today and i *think* i know how you feel. or at least that i can relate.
as always, thanks for you honesty
This is a brilliant post Lucy! You articulated exactly what I go through when I am truly upset.
I have never read any speech books- but find the author's statement on saying "he/she probably can't" to be dead on. I even see this in Mya sometimes and wonder if she is learning from me- oh dear.
I have the same desire to calmly explain myself without becoming emotional, but it is like I just don't know how sometimes and it frustrates me to no end.
Now I am thinking I should be checking out some books on this subject.
Interesting how a few words on childhood speach could spark this post. I've got the calm but clear in a conflict thing down, but I could use some practise on being more verbally expressive with my love.
Great insight!! I hate conflict too. If it's with family I usually blow -up...I CANNOT do the silent treatment. If it's someone else...I have a hard time hiding my disgust but don't usually like to verbalize it.
I am Queen of the silent treatment and it's a quality that do not like about myself.
It's not a matter of not having the words, it's a matter of forgiveness. When I feel hurt I hold grudges and try to justify all the reasons that the other person should be showering me with apologies. I struggle to forgive and forget. What's interesting is that I can be silent for a very long time but won't ever get over my problem without eventually using words to talk it out.
I think that those of us who use the silent treatment are simply more sensitive and/or easily offended. We need it to help us cope with our hurt. In the eleven years that I've been married, I think I've only seen my husband offended once. But he was over it within thirty minutes. No need to be silent if you're already over it. I wish I could be more like him. It takes a conscience effort for me.
Thanks for this post! I am also great at the silent treatment, when i am upset or PMSing!
This is a skill I haven't mastered as well...I just spent a week fuming...what a waste of my life!
You've just defined the communication of every normal woman. I think this is how we operate. Props to you for trying to move beyond the primitiveness.
I always did admire your beautiful skin. Now I know I'm to thank for letting all that steam off on you!!! Seriously. This is also an issue I need to work on. Good luck to you!
Interesting about the speech thing. Luke is in a MAJOR tantrum mode these days. Does that mean he has speech issues? I wish I had some sort of understanding of it, unfortunately right now we are having to endure screaming ugly episodes!
Doug will probably agree that I am by far the worst communicator and the queen of the silent treatment. I am working on it, but it's definitely a weakness.
I tend to do the same thing. I don't even blog when I am irked or feeling down...I just rather not act on emotions and feel like I need to sort things our silently before expressing myself verbally.
Sounds like a very interesting book; can't wait to hear more!
When it comes to Jason I can let it all out but I tend to brood and vent when I'm upset with others. Maybe that's why Jason gets the brunt of it.
The middle ground is a gift... one a don't have. I can't even imagine not being emotional, that may be too much to ask.
I totally relate to the dishwasher scene....
"the people i love deserve more than grunts and gestures..."
so true.
i have, only recently, come to understand that you really cannot ever unload the dishwasher loudly enough. NOT if you want them to know how you're REALLY feeling.
Post a Comment