Friday, February 22, 2008

Life After the Diaper Bag and TGIF

I don't remember when it happened, but some time ago, we stopped using a diaper bag. Henry doesn't ever play with books or cute little toys, or...I should say, if he does, his primary play involves throwing them. He only wants to drink what his brothers are drinking, but if I need a sippy cup, I bring one and stow it in my purse. And I always have several diapers in the car. Just in case.

While not having to heft a diaper bag around definitely has its perks, there are times when I long for the days of shouldering a tote with all sorts of nooks and crannies that contain the mysteries of the universe. Take...today, for instance.

Yesterday, to top off an already fabulous week, I noticed a grinding sound when my car made left turns at slow speeds. I mentioned it to my sister-in-law who told me that they had a problem like that a while back, and it was something rubbing against their tire (I think) and it cost them $80 to fix. She hoped....I hoped....but deep down I knew. That was not it.

I took my van in this morning to the service station right after I dropped Seth off at school. We were there nice and early but, like all car repair places, the place was already packed. They had a defunct Lego table, with no actual Legos to play with, and one of those push-the-beads-along-the-colored-wires toys. Because that is sure to entertain the kiddos.

Immediately after I check in, I see a coffee/hot chocolate service area. I make myself a hot chocolate, because a cup of cocoa almost always soothes, and make my way over to the "lounge". The lounge has about eight chairs set up around a big screen TV. Unfortunately for anyone with small kids (or taste, for that matter), the TV is tuned to FOX. Have you seen their morning show? Clearly, they are not fighting for the same demographic as the other networks. No, the folks at FOX decided riveting morning television should include the likes of Geraldo, Larry the Cable Guy and a group of teens that operate a teen s3x internet site...because it's good to have information and it gets people talking. Whatever. All super appropriate for my five year old, who is learning quickly that TV offers all sorts of information that Mom and Dad don't seem to share.

Sam sees my cocoa, and because he is already bored by the non-lego table and baby toy, wants some of his own. Which means Henry must have some too. I knew it couldn't turn out well...and it didn't. I figured cleaning up a mess would be easier than dealing with a tantrum but I was wrong. My pants have too much spandex (must check the percentage...and not buy again) and bending over created all kinds of new stress on my life.

While I was cleaning, I smelled Henry. Even though I had changed a messy diaper this morning, he had more to move. Normally, I carry a diaper with me in my purse when we are going to be away from the car, but I hadn't grabbed one and at this point, the van was already up on one of those pneumatic lifts. I knew I couldn't force everyone to smell his stink for who knows how long, so I dug deep for my inner Emily (who cloth diapered) and took his diaper off in the bathroom, shook it out into the toilet, wiped off as much as I could with paper towels and....yes....put it back on him. He actually didn't smell after this and was completely fine. However, I was slightly traumatized.

Fighting the clock and at least eight vending machines displaying all the candy and drinks that Henry and Sam must have, I spent the next two hours keeping Henry out of the new, shiny cars in the showroom and away from the TV, which was now showing Law and Order, Criminal Intent (which is a bizarre, freaky and perverted show). End result? New brakes, two gumballs (kept them busy for quite awhile) and a package of sour patch kids...$250.00.

Yesterday, I had no idea that my Friday morning would be tragically ruined like this. But here's the beautiful ending. When I returned home from my hellish morning, Amy M. and Amie had sent some emails offering to bring me lunch and girl talk. They came over, with kids, and I spent several hours burning off steam to these new, lovely friends, which....yesterday, I didn't really know I had. Not the kind that would drive a hefty distance to visit a girl who couldn't promise to be great company.

Not a bad ending to a pretty bad week. My kids had a much needed play date and apparently, so did I. Thanks girls.

13 comments:

Amy said...

I love that some fellow Amy's came to your rescue...I would have loved to be there, too!

Tara said...

I'm glad it had a happy ending. Girl talk can do a lot of good.

Kristin said...

Glad it got better later on...it is so stressful trying to contain small children for hours in small public places. ugh. Way to go Amys...sounds like fun.

April said...

Way to rally...doctor's offices and car repairs never mix with small children, and somehow I always end up there. The necessary evils of my life. You are doing the work that no one else could do!

Jamie, Amanda, and Kids said...

sorry about the car...but at least it's now "just like new" :) Sounds like a NIGHTMARE with Henry and the diaper fiasco. Crazy! Hope you have a more calming weekend.

Amy Sorensen said...

OK...I think I would rather have my toenails ripped off than sit in a mechanic's shop with a few kids. I'm so glad you survived with only a hot-chocolate spill. And I'm sending some serious empathy on the pants thing. When did they stop making ANY jeans that actually FIT???? ;)

Jo said...

That sounds like a really horrific day. Hopefully Sat with US gave you a much needed boost too!

Amie said...

It was very fun to get to hang out for a few hours. I hope it got your weekend off to a good start. Thanks for letting us crash your party.

Rebecca said...

Uck! I've had to reuse a poopy diaper before too. It is traumatizing. I'm glad your day got a lot better.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, what a painful day! The torture of those experiences, too, is that you have no idea when it will be over. There's no looking at your watch and saying, "Okay, I can do this for 15 more minutes." You're just there at their mercy for however long it takes.

I'm glad it ended so well, though.

jenny said...

30 minutes of trying to entertain children is rough enough, but 2 hours? You deserve a gold merit! I am glad that Amie and Amy came over to make the day better!

amy gretchen said...

You know I'm sorry you had such a hard morning, but glad you let Amie and I come crash your house. It took me several hours to not feel bad that I actually invited myself over. I guess I needed a bit of girl talk too. Thanks for the chat, it was fun.

chloe said...

Ha ha ha!!! I'm sorry, but it's kind of hilarious at the same time.