I hadn't planned on today being another one of those kind of days. Yesterday, I felt a great spirit at church and really calmed myself. A new family was confirmed in Sacrament meeting, testimonies were good, gospel doctrine was enlightening (gotta love Isaiah) and in relief society we talked about drawing closer to Heavenly Father. The teacher talked about our attitudes and I recalled Elder Bednar's talk during conference about how no one can make us feel anything. Only we control how we react. He was referring to being offended but I applied it to being crazy-mad-frustrated. So I was feeling a bit calmer compared to Saturday.
Saturday was a very long day for the man working on our railing (there were two here but one couldn't be older than 14 and didn't do very much other than hold the level). He stayed until 10:00 at night and still wasn't quite finished. I felt compassion toward him as he was a hard worker and so much of the struggle was due to a language barrier. When he explained that he needed to come back on Sunday to finish because he couldn't come at all after that as he had another project we hesitantly said o.k. He's just not the kind of man you would be inclined to launch a verbal attack on. (Unless you're me earlier in the day). But it was very embarrassing to hear the miter saw cutting wood the moment I came out of the doors of church. We live right by the church so everyone driving to and from pretty much sees our house and knew that we had some work going on.
When it came down to the finish work...putting on the molding around the railing, we weren't happy with the size of molding we bought. It was too narrow and didn't cover all of the construction so we told him we would finish it when we bought what we wanted. So...it's not quite finished but almost.
We have also needed a new stove for years. We knew that we needed to buy one before we tried to sell this house because our current stove doesn't have any knobs, one of the burners doesn't work and the broiler doesn't work either. I bought one on my Home Depot odyssey the other night and it was delivered this morning. The stove we are replacing is a "drop-in" style but to buy a drop-in is twice as much as buying a slide in. The friendly Home Depot associates (which I'm quickly learning means "I really don't know what I'm talking about but I'll be as helpful as they trained me to be") told me it was a simple conversion if we owned a skill saw. We do and I happen to be married to someone comfortable using it so I went the less expensive route. Jay had cut away the countertops that needed to be removed in the back and the bottom part because a drop in doesn't go all the way to the floor in front. It was not easy and I should have taken pictures of some of the positions he had to get in to saw off pieces. But it wasn't funny at the time and I don't think he would have appreciated it. Anyhow, it was delivered this morning and the installers said that our old stove was hardwired and he's not able to do any electrical work...other than plug it in. So, he left it in the middle of my kitchen. I started to look in the yellow pages for an electrician but tried to slide it in first to see how it looked. And, of course, how fitting with my luck recently... it doesn't fit. Too wide.
Not by much. A half-inch or so but still...it' doesn't fit. I called Jay and could tell he's just tired of dealing with my projects and the resulting fiasco. So I flipped from "E" in the yellow pages to "C" looking for some sort of a contractor to cut away at my kitchen countertops/cabinets. Someone is coming tomorrow. I have no idea how it'll turn out. If it'll be a simple fix or what. Heavy, heavy sigh. I have to do something. I just can't not have a stove and a big hole in the kitchen. I just hate that this has turned into something complicated. This, I thought, would be easy.





1 comment:
I feel your pain sista! That seriously sucks big time. I too love projects that were suppose to be some what simple. I think the molding looks great though despite all the pain and agony to get it. Hang in there :)
Post a Comment