Apparently, you have to BE somebody to get something. I mentioned in my last post that Sammy had a Dr.'s appt. for his eye. His pediatrician referred us to a pediatric opthamologist and I called on Friday. The soonest they could get us in was October 9th. I explained to them what was going on with his eye, how it started wandering rather suddenly and how his condition has rapidly deteriorated. His eye wanders almost all of the time now. Still, the soonest they could see him was a month. Frustrated, I accepted the appointment and put myself on the waitlist for any cancellations. When I mentioned this to Jay he said that he was going to call the opthamologist and request Sammy to be seen sooner. How could that happen? If they could...why wouldn't they just schedule him sooner?
Today Jay called the office. He spoke directly to the opthamologist and now the office seems to be jumping through hoops to get us in this week. We are going in on Wednesday. I'm grateful but I just don't get it. Jay knew he could do this. Professional courtesy or something like that. But this seems to be everywhere in life. If you know someone you get the job. Or into the school. Or on the basketball team. Or the better deal on a car. Yada Yada Yada! Well, I've got no great connections (except now, it seems Jay) and I have always believed that if you are fair, try your hardest, follow the rules, play nice that life rewards you. Little, naive me. I guess I have to scream and holler so that my kids get the best teacher. And I better start abusing the personnel in restaurants if I want to be compensated for bad food/service. Squeaky wheel, connections, quid pro quo - oh my!
Monday, September 11, 2006
Well, well, well...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
So funny you say this, but SO true. I think we live in such a political world and its really quite sad. Doug has done the same phone call thing for our family a few times. I guess it pays to know someone in every field right?
Get back in line with the rest of us!!!!
oops forgot to sign that post vaughn
Well, I just want you to know I don't pull any weight anywhere else - so I have to use what I've got, right? - Jay
Post a Comment