Friday, September 01, 2006

Book Review #4 - Wicked




This book takes the reader through the life of Elphaba who became the Wicked Witch of the West in the beloved Wizard of Oz. All sorts of thoughts went through my mind as I read this. At one time, I remember thinking, "This book is amazing! How the author juxtaposes the familiar wizard of oz with this new story is simply fascinating." Which is true. It is fun to read a new book with somewhat familiar characters. I thought at a different time, "Is the author on drugs when he wrote this?" because some of the novel is very strange and out there. I honestly couldn't even conjure in my mind some of his descriptions because they were so unfamiliar to me. I blushed at times because parts of the story is a bit crass. A few times, unnecessarily so and a few pertinant to the story. So, I guess I just justified the whole "poop in the brownies" analogy. If you're curious about that last statement, I'll let you know about it.

Overall, this book is a political satire. And a sort of discussion on the nature of evil. I'd recommend it. Very original considering it's about a well-known story.

5 comments:

jenny said...

I am curious what is the poop in the brownies?

Lucy said...

Somebody gave a talk in sacrament meeting about teaching their kids not to watch rated R movies. They compared the excuse "but there's only one small sex scene" or "it's good but there is a lot of swearing or violence" to making brownies. They started making the brownies and then at the very end added some poop. Of course the kids wouldn't eat them. The parent explained, "but it's just a little bit. Everything else is really good." So if you won't accept a little poop in your brownies then you shouldn't accept it in our entertainment.

There you go. Unfortunately for me, I always seem to do this with reading. I just love a good book - poop and all. Pretty gross, eh?

ShelahBooksIt said...

did you ever find yourself getting bored at the hundreds of pages of discussion of religion among the different groups? Ugh. My sister, who has read the book and seen the play (I have not yet been so lucky) says the play is a million times better. I hope so!

Lucy said...

Definitely sped read whenever paragraphs upon paragraphs started focusing in on the word "unionist" or Lurilina or Kumbric. Gregory MacGuire was obviously trying to say something about religion but that is not what I enjoyed from the book. I thought he did a better job with the evolution of power and the clash of different cultures.

I am going to see the musical in 3 weeks! I have heard it's very well done and moving. I'm looking forward to it.

Jay said...

So do you put poop in my brownies? Or the Scotharoos I've been eating all weekend?

My favorite parts where the religious pages. Wondered where he was going with the different religions - but he never tied it all together. Disappointing finish.