Monday, October 29, 2012

My Manny Is Gone




For the past few months, I have been relying heavily on the help of my nephew when the afterschool schedule got hairy or weekends too full.  Derek was always willing to help me out of a jam when I couldn't be in two places at once and freely offered his services wherever and whenever.  I hated asking, because I hate asking anyone, but I always felt certain that when I asked Derek for help...he truly didn't mind.

I joked that he had become my manny.  He'd take Henry to his soccer game or pick Seth up at cross-country.  If I had to be gone in the evening and Seth or Jay wasn't around, he frequently had the three younger boys.  All of my boys adore their older cousin and in many ways, he's that older brother that Seth has never had.  Ever since we moved back here, Seth has been quite close to Derek.  Finally, there is someone bigger to wrestle with and Derek never, ever got annoyed with a nine, ten, eleven or twelve year old boy who, without warning, would jump up on him.  When Daniel was born, I saw a side of Derek I don't think he shows to many.  He's a total softie.  He loves all my boys but he was extra sweet with Daniel and more than once, he held a crying baby in the foyer while I taught YW or primary.  On a Sunday when we were asked to speak in Sacrament Meeting, one of the young women held him and I think he was jealous! However cranky Daniel was, Derek never seemed to get flustered.

I met Derek when he was three years old.  I've seen lots of changes in him throughout the years but this past year, I've watched him as he prepared to serve a mission for our church.  He has been called to serve in the Raleigh, North Carolina area.  His transformation from boy to man started when uncles came for the cattle drive-in in June, and he was set apart as an Elder.


From left to right:
Jay, Rex, Vaughn Sr. Jerry, Vaughn Jr. (his dad), Derek, Clark

Then, we travelled to Monticello and went through his Endowment session at the temple.



Patty, Derek and Vaughn

Last Sunday, he was set apart as a missionary and we were able to be at that as well.  I wish we were closer to my other nephews, Scott, currently serving a mission in Florida and the twins, Jacob and Michael, who are going to serve in Russia and Columbia, but I am so glad that my boys have been able to witness first hand the necessary steps in becoming a missionary.  I'm grateful for all of their examples and for the close relationship they have with Derek and hope that they will follow his examples and be missionaries as well when they have grown a foot or two.




I'll definitely miss my manny and the boys will miss a fearless wrestling partner but we are so proud of Derek!



See ya in two years, buddy!

9 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Win. Win. Win. What a great situation for all of you.

I love your title of manny, too.

Jen Childers said...

Good for Derek! I'm sure it's been wonderful to have the help, but what a wonderful example your boys have to look up to!

Jen Childers said...

Good for Derek! I'm sure it's been wonderful to have the help, but what a wonderful example your boys have to look up to!

melanie said...

What a great example for your boys. Thinking of him helping with Daniel is so sweet. Good luck Derek!

I would mourn the loss of an extra wresting partner. Man, boys love that!

donna said...

such a sweet post.. Good luck Derek...

Lisa said...

I don't know your sweet nephew, but please tell him thank you for being such a great example to young men and little brother's everywhere!

Emily said...

Great post! Your boys are lucky to have such great examples in their cousins :)

Tara said...

It's so great that you get to have older cousins on that side of the family. That's something my kids don't have. It's so wonderful having so many cousins their same age, but how great for your boys to have fine examples to look up to as well.

Kelly said...

That's very nice!