
I think I needed a good semester in English History to really enjoy this book. Hilary Mantel, who clearly knows her Henry VIIIth stuff, does not dumb down her vast field of knowledge so that someone like me, whose handle of this tumultuous time in both religious freedom, women's rights and the UKs monarchy is limited to once reading The Other Boleyn Girl, a Phillipa Gregory novel, and all the words to the "I'm Henry the eighth I am!" song doesn't have to do a head scratch or two. First of all, it seems like everyone is named Thomas. The pronouns alone and my confusion about who "he" was at any given point in the novel was enough to prevent me from loving the book. By the end, I could see that this was a big deal. It's the kind of book that makes a period of history feel very real and not so long, long ago. If only those pronouns hadn't tripped me up so much, I could have loved this one.
Friday, October 26, 2012
Book Review #36 - Wolf Hall
Posted by
Lucy
at
11:25 AM
Labels: Book Review
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
You know...that was the exact same problem I had. I was always having to re-read to see who I was actually reading about. I did love it, but it was confusing.
When I was teaching, I started my Shakespeare units with a lesson on Henry 8. The kids always loved it because I threw in the gross and/or dirty bits! :)
Post a Comment