A couple of weeks ago, I heard through my son, Sam, that our neighbors and friends were moving to Utah. When this friend confirmed the news through a text that same night, I drove home in a fog of tears. I was desolate. Beyond sad. Beyond lonely.
The hole this family would leave behind, both in the community and at church, is crater-sized in its proportions. While the thought of the gash their children leaving makes to our youth program and primary, as well as her and her husband's leadership roles as seminary teacher and bishopric member being sadly vacated is depressing, I mostly mourned my own personal loss. A fun friend gone. A source of advice and comfort in this little town too expensive and isolated to keep anyone for long...taken. I didn't want to live here anymore. I know that sounds dramatic but it just seemed that if this person, who I thought was going to be here forever, was moving then no current or future friendship was safe. For years, it was us leaving our friends as medical school, residency and fellowship ended but, now, for the rest of my life, friends will move and leave me.
What made my grief seem ridiculously overdramatic and undeserving was that it had been probably close to a year since I had done anything social with this friend. We had chatted at a few ward functions and a sent a few texts here and there that kept us from saying we hadn't heard from each other but I had made very little effort to be a friend to my friend. Now, with plans for her to move in less than a month, we quickly scheduled a breakfast in which to meet and chat and it was delightful. Easy. Well...not so easy. Daniel did tip over my water onto my lap and I had that uncomfortable upper thigh and crotch soak to show off as I left the restaurant but that kind of thing isn't what keeps me home. It's me...not making any effort. It's me....figuring people have better things to do. It's me...not knowing or realizing the stress others are having and helping. It's not hard for me to list all the reasons why I'm so unsocial these days. I'm married to a private and socially unmotivated person. I live on 25 acres in the freaking countryside. I have a baby who prevents me from being a lady who lunches and older kids with busy evenings that make my daylight hours feel too precious to spend frivolously with other moms of young kids at things like MOPS. All those realities make the excuses easier to give but the sad reality is this: I am not a good friend.
I think I make an excellent acquaintance. I tend to be friendly and funny and genuinely interested in others. I'm such a good acquaintance that some are duped or lured into thinking I'd make a good friend. This attention and effort on their part flatters and excites me for awhile but then something happens. I'm not sure what. Sometimes it's my own insecurity that I seem too desperate or needy so I back off. Sometimes, I overshare, get embarrassed and back off. Sometimes, someone else seems too desperate or needy and that scares me so I...back off. See a pattern here? Sometimes, distance and time just shift the friendship back to acquaintance mode and it seems weird to get all loud and eager again. Whatever the reason I know that I am the common denominator in all of my current and former lackluster friendships.
A few days ago, this friend told me they are no longer moving. Relief and joy replaced the gloom and I feel determined to show this friend that I really am her friend! Even with this resolve and our own jokes that it shouldn't take the threat of a move to get us to hang out, I find myself managing my motivation. My head says, "O.K. She's staying but this is a really busy time of year and you just had breakfast two weeks ago. Don't annoy her and plan something else right away." I'm obnoxious!
To anyone I have disappointed as a friend - I'm so sorry. I'm sorry if I seemed disinterested. I'm sorry if I let you down or left you alone when you needed support. I'm sorry I seem to lack the skills to stay friends - real friends. I promise you...it's not you. It's me. I'd like to be better.
Wednesday, October 24, 2012
It's Not You...It's Me
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
Wow, I feel like we've lived the same story...A friend says they're moving to Utah, you feel all sorts of sad and then they don't go. And in our case, the friend did it twice! Twice they said they were going and twice they didn't go.
Friendship is such a complicated thing because it really does mean something different to every one and I think we all have slightly different definitions of the role we want a friend to play in our lives. I know I sometimes hold back in one way or another out of fear that my definition of friendship will not match that of the person I want to call my friend.
I also think our friendship needs change as we move through different stages of life. It has been that way for me, anyway.
Ditto Tara! I think it's so hard to navigate. I'm glad to hear she is staying though!
I'm always afraid people aren't going to like me. High schoolish huh. Don't be too hard on yourself... I've had many lonely days living in a city and I've shared a wall with a neighbor and good friend. I think we often keep those sides of our lives hidden so it seems like no one else struggles the same way, but I think a lot of people do. Makes it sound silly for so many people to be feeling lonely when we could all just get together, huh?!
It's funny that you find yourself in this situation again...it seems that you've gone through this before. I'm just glad I'm your sister and can bug you as often as necessary:) So glad that they aren't moving! You didn't mention that this afternoon when we talked. Hope you find a good balance for you :)
YOUR sister on law Tara's comment was right on.....
So glad your friend is not moving...
You know...sometimes it is just hard! I always pictured myself as a grown up with lots of friends, but while I have several people whom I think of as really, really good friends, we almost never do anything together. It is HARD to match up schedules. And then when I leave I feel guilty because I'm already gone a lot for work.
I don't really have an easy answer for it and I'm still working on it.
I think sometimes you have to adjust your definition of what a friend is. The people I think of as friends are those who, when I finally managed to do something with, we just immediately start talking & trusting each other & laughing together. Even though we don't do stuff often...we are still bound & connected.
So I consider you one of my friends too!
As an adult, I have had a few good friends move away for one reason or another. It is a really hard thing! Even if you don't hang out as regularly as you would like, it's just comforting to know that you have a support system close by.
I am not as good as I would like to be at maintaining friendships either. It's so easy to get wrapped up with daily living. I've found though that even a little goes a long way -- a phone call, remembering a birthday, a care package when they are sick. My friendships as an adult are much different from what they were 10 years ago, and I think that's okay. Don't be too hard on yourself. :) And I'm really glad for you that your friends aren't moving to Utah!
Post a Comment