Monday, March 28, 2011

Biggest Loser - Week 12

This last week really felt incredible.  There were several times I made mental notes of how much stronger I was than when I started this journey in January.  Specifically, I knew my heart was stronger when I could finish a three minute jump rope circuit, boxer style, and still carry on a conversation when I was done.   I knew my weak abs were getting stronger when I held myself in the plank position for a minute and a half without a break.  And there is a dreaded lunge sequence she makes me do off of a step where I have to increase my reps from one of each to ten of each that always makes my backside cramp up.  This past week, I wasn't yelling out in agony until I got to nine reps (the tenth one wasn't pretty, but I'm going to make it past ten soon.  Just you wait).

I swear, I could even feel my body changing.  Normally, I stay off the scale until my weigh-in, but on Friday, I was just feeling really different so I weighed myself at home.  Imagine my delight when the scale displayed a number four and a half pounds less than the Monday preceding it.  I figured with two extra days, I could make it at least an even five.

Then, this morning, I officially weighed in after spin and the scale was only down one and a half pounds.  Grrrr.

My trainer could see my disappointment so she whipped out her camera and showed me my pictures (front, sides and rear view) of my day one.

Oh my goodness.  She has serious blackmail on me.

Her point was to reassure me that I've come a long ways and the scale be damned.  Then, she decided to really make her case and my second hour consisted of doing all of my least favorite exercises.  They are my least favorite for a reason: they hurt and are hard and some I couldn't even do one rep when I first started.  When she bashfully brought out out the gliders for mountain climbers on an inverted Bosu ball, I outwardly groaned.  This is my most dreaded exercise and she knows it.  I hate it.  It hurts....everything.   But, forty reps later, I stood up, high-fived her and absolutely knew that I am a different person than I used to be.  I am changing.  It's pretty incredible.

Upon finishing our torture session...er...workout, she re-weighed me.  Another 0.6 down.  I don't think I lost six tenths of a pound in one hour.   What that change reminded me is that the scale is fickle.  Sure, it's a number I want to see get smaller and smaller, and it will as long as I keep doing the things I'm doing, but I'm not going to let 0.6 pounds, or 2 or none control my day.  I'm just not.

For the record, I am officially down (thanks to the second weigh-in) 2.2 pounds from last week.    That's 31 overall.  Next week is measurements and final pictures.  I'm going to try and remember my camera so that I can have a final picture too.  I haven't really taken any since I started and I hope I can see as much difference as she can.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

I wish I could convince everybody to throw out their scales and this is exactly why! It's how you feel that matters! I'm so proud of you, especially that you can do exercises that you couldn't before or that were so painful! Way to go! Whoop! Whoop!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Lucy, this is pretty darn great. I'm proud of you. What an accomplishment.

Anonymous said...

So so SOOO proud of you! And that your trainer pulled those photos out right then. I hope she lets you keep the before and after pics, and you keep them somewhere you see them often. I loved reading about her putting you through your most hated exercises...what proof!

I hate the scale. So much! I am going through small losses right now as well and trying my best to not let it get me down!

You are a rockstar in my book Lucy and I am excited to see you continue this program on your own.

Stephanie said...

30 lbs. in 3 months is AMAZING! Way to go!

Michelle Alley said...

Wow! You are awesome Lucy! Keep it up!

Lisa said...

Lucy I am so proud of you!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

this post speaks to me!! i've never done before and after photos before, but something in the wee hours of 1/1/11 moved me off of the sofa and into the horrible light of the master bedroom where i took the dreaded befores.

i've taken about 6 sets through my journey so far, and they have buoyed my spirits PLENTY O' TIMES!! even more than the visible changes in my body, it's the relatively new confident expression on my face that make me get up off the floor and stop crying after tricep dips.

can't wait for final results! and then...

Becky said...

Wow, a little over 10 pounds per month! I think that's amazing. What an accomplishment! Not just on the scale, but all the other ways of measuring your success, too! (You should share on the other blog, too!)