"You were with me all the while." lyrics by Survivor
We have bought a home. Actually, more accurately, we are in the process of buying a home. Even more accurately, we are in the obnoxiously tedious part of buying a home. Paperwork, phone calls, scheduling, money, money money....but, still. WE ARE BUYING A HOME!
Timing is a funny thing. I've actually known about this home for awhile. The sellers are friends of ours, and when they were first getting ready to sell, I walked through it and, well, kind of dismissed it. The colors weren't right, everything seemed dated. Nothing clicked.
In the meantime, I have looked at dozens of homes in our area. I started to get used to what you could get for what price. When we looked at the house across the street and really liked it, I considered the price. At that home's listed price, we could get a place that was pretty much move-in ready. I didn't love the kitchen, but figured something could be done about that in the future. Like all the lots in our neighborhood, it didn't really have a yard, just lots and lots of trees. It included 3700 sq ft on a 0.33 acre lot. Pretty solid numbers. It was a strong, strong possibility. Definitely the frontrunner.
Then, I remembered this house, which I hadn't really forgotten, but hadn't really ever considered a contender. It was listed for slightly more but was quite a bit bigger (although 3700 sq ft is definitely plenty) and had 15 acres. A LOT more bang for our buck. For Jay's sake, I wanted him to at least see it before I committed him to living in a neighborhood.
It was funny walking through it a second time. The first time, I really was such an inexperienced prospective buyer. The second time, however, I was much, much more buyer wise and my eyes were opened. This home was awesome! As I watched Jay adjust to the color combinations, which wouldn't be anybody's favorite except the woman who decorated with them, I urged him to look at the house in its essentials. Size of rooms. Layout. Flow. Function. Even as he said, "But the countertops are teal." I reassured him that those these were cosmetic. Changeable. The kitchen itself was in a great location. Behind a rock wall. Windows facing south. Open to a beautiful dining room and close to the garage. He started to see it like I was seeing it.
And we both kind of knew.
We talked about it for a few weeks and Jay tentatively started looking for financing, an act which convinced me that he must really be serious about the property. We went back and looked at it again and the boys ran through the house asking, "Can we live here!?"
We made an offer right as Spring Break was starting and had a contract on the home by the end of the week. Now comes the inspections and appraisals and all the yucky stuff, but I'm thrilled. The move will be accompanied by a school and ward change, neither things we were looking to do, but accept as part of the package. We will be closer to Jay's work, closer to family, and have some fantastically awesome neighbors(my friend, Michelle, who has kids my kids ages. whee!)
I hope this doesn't sound like bragging. I feel so blessed to finally have a house that we can call our own and to know that this home gives our boys so much room to explore and grow is wonderful. To know that we've waited until the time was right and we could move into something that will be the place we raise our boys is worth it because this is it - our home. And in a few years, when we've saved some more pennies, we can say bye-bye to the teal counters and blue carpet. We can even move the bathtub to the bathroom, where it belongs (you'll see).
Now, for some pictures. Just a few. O.K. A lot. I kept them small so there would be slightly less scrolling but you can always click on any of the pictures to see in greater detail. Ready for the tour?
The front of the house. The driveway extends to the garage but there is a small parking area and a circular drive here in front.
Bedroom #1
The back deck. Or stage for the family reunion:)
We are set to close May 15th but won't move in until the school year is over, two weeks later. We are hoping that moving locally will be less painful than the big interstate moves we are used to, but I have a feeling all moves are painful.
I'm surprised by how calm we feel. This really feels right. I always thought I'd walk into a home and just...SHABLAM! That would be the one. But, it took a couple of times with this property. My shallowness couldn't get past the mauve tub. But now me and that mauve tub have a date. May 15th!!!


34 comments:
Weeping with envy! Not the really bad envy, but the I'm-happy-for-my-friend-but-I-want-one-envy! ;) The house is awesome!!!! You are right, it definitely has tons of potential. and loveliness already. BIG CONGRATS! I am happy for you!
PS: My kitchen countertops are green. *I* picked them out! However, they are not teal. However, my bathtub is white so maybe they balance each other out? The house I grew up in had a pink bathtub. It still has a pink bathtub! ;)
Congratulations Lucy, congratulations! I'm so happy for you.
Amy - the house I grew up in had and still has a pink bathtub too!
Like I said, the countertops are really nice, as is the carpet, but just not my colors. I'm a neutral girl. My favorite color is brown. To fall in love with this house, I had to look past all of its colorful character:)
I love it! Congrats! I LOVE the deck and the sunroom and the fireplace!! You'll have it looking like it's 'yours' in no time.
You already know how excited I am for you and Jay! Thanks for all the pictures...love all the storage in the garage. I can't wait to come help you figure out where all your stuff can go :) Congrats! Here's hoping all the appraisals, inspections go smoothly!
Lucy, that is a GREAT house! Yeah, I can see what you mean about the colors (those counters do nothing for me, either, but hey, my counters are ugly laminate with the trim coming off, and I've survived, lol), but the house has good bones. Nice layout, lots of space and storage, you are going to LOVE it! I'm so happy for you!
I'd take a bath tub in the living room if I also got the storage in the garage, mud room and deck on the second story! Just awesome. Congratulations!
Hilarious stories of Henry locking himself in the safe in 3..2..1...
Congrats Lucy! Not bragging at all, I'm so happy for you. Such gorgeous views and scenery! The laundry room alone could have sold me on the home, I love it! Well that and maybe the safe for my gold bars too. :)
May 15th is so close! Good luck getting everything ready. I'm leaning towards all moves being painful lets just hope this one is just a bit less.
I love that you bought a house. It has been a long journey for you! I am so so happy for you, and I think that you made a great choice. Remember, you're a little bit country, a little bit rock and roll? :)
Congrats! What a gorgeous house with a gorgeous view!
EEEEEE!! I'm just squealing with delight! I'm so happy for you guys. I LOVE the house, the views, the size, the fabulous storage, and more importantly the wet bar, which I expect to be filled with Diet Coke when we come to visit-hahahahaha!!!! Can't wait to see it in person of these days. Hmmmm, I'm thinking road trip for the Giles family. Thanks for sending Flat Stanley. We are on break right now, so I'm sure he's waiting in the pile of mail at the school. Congrats!!!!
It's a really great house. Congrats!
Wow Lucy! It looks awesome! You're right, it has lots of potential but it totally livable as it is now. I'm happy for you guys! We are in the midst of a home-owners semi-nightmare at the moment, flooded basement, second time in only 3 1/2 years of living here. Anyway, good luck, hope it all goes smoothly for you!
Oh, I love it. By far my favorite of all the ones you have shown so far. I can't believe you will have 15 acres. You are going to love it!
Lucy that is so great! We are very close to closing on our home to. I don't dare post any photos though for how crappy it is inside!
Also, I just looked at the pictures again and I have to say the potential is huge!I am so happy for you guys.
I LOVE it. I'm so happy you've found your house match, or as Kelly would say your "house of destiny"!
This is great Lucy!! Congrats to you and the family!!
Lucy, what a great house. I am so happy for your family. OH my boys would love the safe.
FABULOUS!! How exciting. I'm so happy for you, Jay, and your darling boys!!
Ok...I forgot to comment on the amazing view. OH. MY. GOSH. Simply divine.
I'm laughing about that mauve tub. Become one with the mauve. :) As for that safe...perfect time out room for naughty teenagers. Ha ha.
Congratulations!! Hope everything with your move goes smoothly. Keep us posted:)
Awesome! Hope the move goes smoothly.
What ARE you going to do with that built in entertainment center in the master? heehee
It's an amazing home. Congratulations! What a great place for 3 boys to grow up.
Oh, right. And if we're talking Colorado it's gotta be a gunsafe :-)
Beautiful! Really beautiful... it looks like you will be living on a permanent vacation. I'm excited for you to be settled for real and thanks for sharing so many pictures. It is fun to have a visual of your new place.
That house looks A. MAZE. ING!!!! WOW, you had me at the garage....
Can I be the one who sheds a little tear? The house is great! I'm happy for you. But not for me.
Congrats!! I am so thrilled for you guys. SO does this house have a place for visitors??? I'll call you in a few days....
I'm so happy for you! What a great house! It looks like a wonderful place to raise a family and protect your gold bars. :) I'm so glad you included so many pictures. The views are just breathtaking!
Congratulation Lucy. I'm so glad you finally found what you wanted. YAHOO!
It looks fantastic. And your view. WOW!
Wow, that's so exciting! Definitely worth the wait. I think you guys were so smart to rent first and give yourselves time to find what you really wanted. Great house.
I love it. I wish we could come visit you!
Post a Comment