1. I have so many great posts in my head. Funny ones. Philosophical ones. Emotional ones. Well, at least they are great in my head and I want so much to remember them. But....NO TIME! And, if I do have time, I'm kinda tired. Waa. If only I had some kind of transcription equipment where I could just talk out loud and have the words make it to my blog. If only I was that important. I do realize, in case you were wondering, that I'm not:)
2. Jay had to ref a fourth grade basketball game tonight. Holy cow. Stressful! It all started well and good (it wasn't an official game but since a lot of the players are leaving for Spring Break this weekend, there wouldn't be enough people to play on Saturday) but, then, Jay didn't call a few ticky tack fouls and, instead, let them play. Of course, the parents on the opposing team (there was a conflict of interest as Jay coaches Seth's team, but no one else showed up with a whistle) started getting miffed when he didn't blow the whistle when their kids were fouled. Never mind that he didn't blow the whistle when their kids fouled our kids, that seemed to be beside the point. There I was, watching the man I love and admire, sincerely try to do his best to ref while simultaneously watching parents on the sideline roll their eyes at him and make snarky comments. At one point, he smiled, handed the opposing team's coach the whistle and asked him if he would prefer reffing, but he refused it. It was much easier blaming Jay for everything his team was doing wrong. Minutes later, he told his kids that if fouls weren't being called, then they should foul. You should have seen the whoops and hollers his boys gave. Then they all started air punching each other and laughing about fouling. My heart was racing the entire time. I abhor conflict, especially if I'm in any way involved. It still makes me upset thinking about it. Jay kept his cool, but I hope he never has to ref again. People are mean. And near-sighted.
3. I'm leaving in the morning for another long road trip. The school district changed Spring Break to coincide with the local college's Spring Break, so we get a week off during the balmy second week of March. Jay, being low man on the totem pole at work, has to work every single day as two of the six radiologists are gone for the entire week and no more than two guys can be off on any given day. Stinky. As he's hitting his peak mileage for marathon training and helping his dad out on the farm this week because both his dad and older brother are out of town for most of the week, I decided to nip feeling like a martyr in the bud and take off for our own fun. I considered going to the much warmer Arizona, but it didn't feel right. Then, I decided to really celebrate the misery of March and go to Montana, but my mom wasn't even going to be home. Thankfully, sister Jen is ready to welcome our brood for a few days. It's not close, but her home is such a great place to be. The boys and I can't wait. Sadly, we'll have to. It takes two days to drive there.
4. I went blond again. I liked having dark locks for about 3 days but then felt blah and mousy. Really, I was irritated that something like hair color even mattered to me. It grows back, right? C'est la vie! Not so much. Once I accepted my shallowness, I decided that it's o.k. to prefer lighter hair. So what if I'm destined to be that woman who has seriously outdated hair because I'm unwilling to try something new? Did the Farrah ever really go out of style? It did? At least the Mullet is timeless. What? No one likes the party in the back anymore? Well, at least the Rachel is here to stay. That too? Hmmmmm. Still, I think blond foils with a long (not so long anymore. Someone got a little scissor happy) inverted bob are sure to stay. This hairstyle is like leg warmers: never really out of style. And if people claim it to be so, they just aren't cool enough to get it.
5. I have been reading The Brothers Karamazov for a month and I'm still not done. I know it's not uncommon to take a month to read something, but my slow statistics are embarrassing to me. I even like the book. It's just...not at all easy to read. So, just like blogging, many nights I'm simply too tired to give the required amount of thinking necessary to make it worth it. Or, I do and read like ten pages. Ten! When there are almost 800 to check off, ten doesn't really make too big a dent. Anyways, for the first two weeks, I felt frustrated because if I told someone what I was reading, I couldn't really pronounce it. I didn't know if it was kara-ma-zov with the accent on "kara" or karma-zoff or what. Lucky for me, I have a Russian friend and asked her how to say it. She pronounced it in a way I will never be able to reproduce, but when I repeated ka-rah-ma-zov, with the accent on the "rah" she smiled and said, "Good enough." So, now I can confidently tell people what I'm reading. Still. A month later.
Happy Spring Break! No? Well...Happy End of Winter for the rest of you who live within the boundaries of school districts who have any sense.
Friday, March 05, 2010
Five For Friday - Quick, Tired and Not Very Positive Edition
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


15 comments:
Wow, you are amazing with your road trips. Wish we got to see you and the boys, too. Travel safely and have a great time.
My dad was a ref/ump for many of my growing up years. Just reading your account made me super uncomfortable. Parents can be so crazy when it comes to sports.
Glad you get to leave town for a few days! Drive safe!
I'm so super excited to have you spend the week here...even if it wasn't your first choice:) So sorry for Jay, I agree with Tara that parents get a little out of control when it comes to sports that involve their offspring! Can't wait to see your blond hair and you'll have plenty of relaxing time to knock off some pages in your The Brothers Karamazov! Drive safe and see you tomorrow!
I am glad you are going somewhere for Spring Break! But I am sad Jay has to work...bummer. We'll check up on him. Maybe he'll let us help with the farm chores. I can't believe you are road tripping so far! You rock! I am just going to hand out here in my leg warmers. I think going blonde is a sign of spring. I was cringing at the whole ref thing and John and I had a conversation last week about that very topic--what a thankless and unfun job!!
should I drive to the tri-cities to see you? I don't want to crash your sister time but it would be so great. Let me know.
I won't tell Matt, but if you drive through and need a potty break, our door is open!
YOu are the one person that gives me confidence for road trips. Hope you have a great time. Sorry it's so early. Bummer! Ours starts on Friday and my kids don't head back until March 30th. Crazy. Can't wait to hear all the adventures!
I went dark this past week and couldn't stand it either. I had to add the highlights. But I didn't wait 3 days, I only waited 3 minutes. :)
You have a long list of fans but if you find yourself at the park or a late night blizzard and need another chatting partner, call me, I'd love to see you.
Or I guess email me. :)
Andrea, I'd love it if you came down. That would be awesome. Do you still have my cell phone number?
Kelly - the boys would be thrilled to see Matt on our way back through. will you be around Friday evening?
Melanie - I'll email you:)
The problem with reffing is that you can't make everyone happy. He should have ejected the other coach - ha!
My Steven thinks he wants to take the reffing course next year and maybe work as a ref for 4th grade type basketball when he's in high school. Sounds like too much pressure to me, we'll see how our boy holds out.
The problem with reffing is that you can't make everyone happy. He should have ejected the other coach - ha!
My Steven thinks he wants to take the reffing course next year and maybe work as a ref for 4th grade type basketball when he's in high school. Sounds like too much pressure to me, we'll see how our boy holds out.
I wish I had the transcription thing for blogging, too! And I'm nowhere near as funny or philosophical as you.
That sucks about the basketball game. Why do the parents and coach have to be like that? I already know why the kids are that way--because of the adults in their lives. Sad.
I've always pronounced it Care-uh-MOTS-off. Oh well. I'll probably never read it, either!
Have a great road trip! I have the best memories with my little family just being stuck in the car together! Also, be grateful that you GET a Spring Break. Ours consists of the Friday and Monday surrounding Easter. That's it! Every year. Boo on Pittsburgh.
I was hoping that meant you were coming to utah. :( Have fun on your road trip. You'll have to give me some advice about making the long drive with kids. I have been afraid to do it without Adam on roads I don't know well. He thought I was crazy...I think I am.
I hate when a book takes longer than a couple of weeks, even though it happens to me all the time. I think it's the reason I don't read a lot of classic back to back.
Post a Comment