Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Charm City

We just spent three lovely days in the city of Baltimore, Maryland. O.K. Three is generous. We flew in on Thursday evening, spent all day Friday there and left Saturday afternoon. So, whatever. It was three days of travel. I'm counting it:)

Baltimore's nickname is Charm City and charming it was. When telling people about our destination, I had several people ask me if we would go to Washington D.C. since the two cities are so close to each other, but I wanted to spend our one full day in Baltimore, as I'd never really been there before.

I'm glad I did. The harbor, where we stayed and where the marathon (see below) centered around, was really picturesque and serene. Like most East Coast cities, there is a lot of American history there. Unfortunately, outside of this particular area, there is also a lot of crime.

I think this is why Baltimore gets a bad rap. It has the second highest crime rate/capita for a city over 250,000 people in the entire country. While I didn't see any of it, several miles of the Baltimore Marathon goes through some of their roughest neighborhoods. Jay told me it was really sketchy - like every rough looking neighborhood you've ever seen on T.V or the movies only more depressing because he saw the downtrodden who actually lived there. I learned another nickname for Baltimore is Mob City.

I only felt nervous once, when we got off the light rail train with our luggage and had half a mile to walk to our hotel in the dark of the night. Suddenly, I felt like a hick and very unsafe. It was a relief to get to our downtown digs where we could watch the many, many sirens drive by from our protective 10th floor window.



Still, our one full day there was a lot of fun. We kept our sightseeing pretty low key as Jay didn't want to be foot tired the day before his race. We spent the morning picking up his race packet and shopping at the running expo and then had a delicious seafood lunch. I packed around my camera during all of this, but have a horrible habit of leaving my memory card in my computer when downloading pictures. After a quick trip back to the hotel, we were in photo business again.

We toured two ships they have docked in the harbor. First up, the USS Torsk. Its most interesting fact is that it was the submarine that sunk the last Japanese warship in World War II. It also has made the most dives of any American submarine at over 11,000.



Jay making his way down.

In front of the rear torpedoes.

Like a kid in a candy store, Jay enjoyed pushing all the buttons. They still worked. Not the torpedo launching ones...just the original light switches

Jay insisted on taking a picture of me since I complain I am in no pictures. You be the judge if this counts.

The USS Torsk from our next stop, the USS Constellation.

The USS Constellation was the last all-sail powered warship commissioned to be built by the US government during the Civil War. It's main job was to patrol for slave ships and to defeat the confederacy's attempts to interfere with the Union's trade from the Mediterranean sea.

Can you imagine sleeping this close to other people in hammocks?

They had a "hands-on" demonstration that moved the sail direction. I can't remember what it was called, but this guy took his job seriously and treated all of his participants like sailors. And he yelled at me for standing in an unsafe position to take this picture. Click on it. You can see his angry face.

So, I moved. This is what Jay's hard work produced....

See how the beam is turned?

This was the bottom of the four "floors" on the ship. It's where they stored the food and drinking water.


The USS Constellation

Next, we went on a 45 minute harbor cruise with historical narrative. We had to wait for just a little while and my hero went and rounded us up some refreshing beverages.


Diet Cokes in hand!


Pictures from the inside of the ship (Jay wanted to get out of the sun). The lighthouse where immigrants were sent if they were sick and needed to be quarantined. Did you know Baltimore harbor is second only to Ellis Island in number of immigrants landed?

Ft. McHenry where the Star Spangled banner was penned by Francis Scott Key during the War of 1812.

Another courtesy shot.

We had dinner at Uno Chicago Pizzeria and Grill because Jay wanted to Carbo load and they offered gluten-free options. This was our view from our table.

I made our waiter take a picture of us, much to the chagrin of Jay. He didn't take a clear shot, much to the chagrin of me.

We listened to an a Capella ground after dinner that wasn't very good.

And the whole trip was made possible thanks to loving grandparents.

It was so nice travelling without the boys. They are great travelers, but when I watched the other parents running around getting their children breakfast and pushing strollers and convincing toddlers to stay out of the taped off race area, I really appreciated the fact that my boys were home, safe and sound and having a great time with Grandma and Grandpa. Plus, I got two books read (Wuthering Heights and Romeo and Juliet) which definitely couldn't have happened with Henry around.

We had a lovely time and I happily recommend Baltimore as a great three/one day destination.

20 comments:

Erin said...

Ah, Baltimore. Many a day trip was spent in Inner Harbor during our time in Delaware. I sure hope your seafood lunch included crab cakes! They are a Baltimore must! I'm glad you had fun...and didn't run into to any crime. We once saw a drug deal just a couple blocks out of the "tourist area".

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

The first picture Jay took of you in the shadows does not count, but the second one sure does. It is just plain pretty.

I did not know one of those facts about Baltimore. Thanks for enlightening me.

Jen Childers said...

Sounds like a fun place. Jared and Denee only live about 1 1/2 hours from there, so next time we're out, we'll put it on the list!

Lucy said...

No crab cakes. I don't like crab and Jay couldn't eat them. But, I had some delicious mahi mahi and he had some atlantic salmon he liked:)

My favorite thing about the east coast is how anyone who lives there is only a few hours away from anywhere. What great opportunities and memories you must be making, Erin.

donna said...

what a great trip :)

Tara said...

I think it's so great that you got a kid-free break, even if it was only for a couple of days.

Fun trip!

ShelleyG said...

It sounds like a great trip! Who knew Baltimore was a fun day trip?! I am glad you had a good time. You are blessed to have good parents. I couldn't find you at first in that photo, I was looking for you off in the distance super tiny-I also need to turn up the light on my screen... anyhoo. I giggled at the first shot of the two of you-Jay emulating Jay Leno from the chin shot angle. :)

Sue said...

I love how I laugh out loud at comments like... "much to the chagrin of Jay." I was just thinking, how did you get Jay to pose for a stranger?
What great parents to come and stay with your boys. Lucky, lucky you! I'm glad you had such a fun time.

Natalie said...

Sounds like a fun little weekend getaway... We've visited Washington DC, but never Baltimore - looks like a lovely city.

I love the close up picture of the two of you...

BAK said...

I like Baltimore, from what I can remember of the afternoon I spent there. I didn't get pictures, so yours were a good reminder of some of the harbor. I remember the baseball stadium, which must be where Jay finished. How cool!

And congrats to Jay. That is a great race time!

Barb said...

You call that an angry face? You must have had really nice parents. Oh, that's right, you do.
The second courtesy shot of you is charming.
I know a song about Baltimore, but before this post that was all I knew! Glad to meet this interesting city.

Kelly said...

I'm so glad you guys got a nice getaway! It looks like a fun 3/1 days. I did blow up the angry face picture to see, and what cracked me up more than his face were the faces of the other people looking at you while he yelled. So funny!

Stephanie said...

That mad guy is awesome!

What a fun trip! I'm so glad you could go cheer Jay along - and see a new city. All I could think of when I heard Baltimore was "Hairspray." It was fun to see your pictures.

melanie said...

I could go anywhere for 3 (or one) days if I had great grandparents taking care of my kids. Not nearly as much guilt. What a blessing!

I haven't ventured east but it's all so intriguing to me. The history, the sites, the food. It's a must one day, I've got to see all of it.

I agree with Jane on the photos. I could barely find you in the shadow. You're so pretty with those glasses on. Wow.

Kristin said...

Sounds like a fun kid-free trip!! Baltimore does look like a beautiful place. I love exploring new cities. Thanks for the little tour. I enjoyed it!!

amy gretchen said...

I remember really liking Baltimore, but it was a long time ago and we didn't do all the great things you two did. Now I wish I had seen it a bit more.

Glad you were able to get away for a few days. Vacations alone together are the best way to regroup I think. Not that traveling with kids is bad, but it's nice not to have to worry about a thing and just spend time together.

KariAnn said...

Oh so so so fun. There's nothing like a childless gettaway to lighten the spirits.

My grandma's brother was actually a sailor on the USS Torsk. He was killed during a routine drill where they closed the hatch and went under while he was still on top. Yikes. At one point there was a picture of him and small memorial on the ship.

Looks like you had a blast. I'm inspired to plan a little trip for just Chad and I. Hmmm, where to?

KariAnn said...

Oh, I was so excited about planning a trip I forgot to say GO JAY!!! I'm seriously impressed. That's so awesome. In my dream world I would definitely run a marathon, but in my real world I'd be dead by mile 5. Very cool, and to qualify for the Boston Marathon is a big deal, wow.

Amie said...

What a fun getaway for you guys. You packed a lot into 3/1 days!

You look great, I hope you are doing well.

[alisar] said...

Baltimore Harbor is also the sometimes-hangout of my favorite rocker, THE Eddie Vedder. Glad you had a fun trip!