Just going through my semi (quarterly?) blog rut over here and thought I'd post some pictures in an attempt to get the juices flowin'.
We had Thanksgiving dinner at our home this year and I actually enjoyed being the hostess. It was A LOT of work. The shopping, the food preparation, getting the house clean and keeping it clean for company, cooking, cleaning up the mess afterward even though I could have sworn I did hundreds of dishes along the way as a preventative measure.
If I had my way, thanksgiving dinner would be a formal affair. Not prom dress-formal, but nice clothes, nice dishes, nice music....nice. Not to be high-flutin' or showy but just to set the day apart that much more (because having a casserole dish full of candied yams already sets it apart quite a bit).
Unfortunately, I have five plates. Five. Which meant I either had to go buy more plates (and my plan is to just wait this Pfaltzgraff Heritage series out. Stoneware, tile and boys whose job it is to set the table should make that happen sooner rather than later) or simply swallow my pride and go with disposable plates. Swallow I did, although I did upgrade to poorly named Chinet (not even close!) and upgraded even further to the banquet platter size (which didn't turn out to be a foolhardy decision. We needed the room.). No one complained and when clean up time came around, I was glad that the dishes needing to be cleaned were limited to serving dishes.
Now for the pictures:
The grown-up table. Jay's brother, Vaughn, and his wife, Patty, his parents and the two of us made up our party of six. Their two children, Derek and Delanie, along with our three boys sat at the other table.
I think we need to call super Nanny. Henry's latest joy is to run laps around the table during dinner.
Of course, we had football on too. Notice Patty sitting on Vaughn's leg. She's not being mean, she's helping him straighten it (he had surgery).
Patty brought Cherry pie, pumpkin pie without crust (Gluten-free) and a gluten-free raspberry cobbler.
Henry and his older cousin, Delanie.I WAS there. I wore a fantastic chocolate silk blouse (I'd say shirt but it really was more of a blouse) and some cute herringbone trousers (I'd say pants but they're so much more than that). I made a butternut bisque (I'd say soup but the recipe says "bisque") that was too-die-for (I thought so, anyways) and felt grateful for my sweet family, this bountiful land that I live in and the luxuries and everyday blessings (even the Chinet) that I'm sure I take much too much for granted. I do love Thanksgiving.



15 comments:
I remember a Thanksgiving as a teenager when I went to my aunt's house and she used paper. I was so offended and repulsed. How could they?
Now that I'm the responsible adult, not only do we not use paper, we don't even cook a Thanksgiving dinner. How far I've fallen.
But your scrumptious menu makes me miss leftovers. Blouse photos please?
Yeah, I understand what you mean about wanting the proof that you were at family functions. I hate asking people, hey, take my picture, but if you don't, there is no visible proof you attended.
Sometimes I let Thomas have the camera. People respond better to a kid taking a thousand pictures, and hey, he might even take one of me. Is it vain to want pictures of yourself? I wonder sometimes if I'm just being silly.
I'm sure you looked LOVELY!!
You know...a few weeks ago I was looking for ONE picture of me holding Kaleb when he was a newborn, and aside from the oh-so-lovely shots in the hospital, I have ZERO. ZERO!!!! It still makes me bawl. since then I have decided to get over feeling weird about asking someone to take my picture. Well, honestly, I still feel weird about it, but I do it anyway. It helps that my daughter likes to take pictures, and my oldest son is starting to be interested in it, too. I even had him take a photo of me on Thanksgiving day. It was hilarious to see him trying so hard to hold the camera still, and no matter what, it still wavered a bit. Photos are a little soft, but it's good to have some of me. Even if no one else cares about me being in the photos, I care!
Anyway, sorry, touched a nerve i guess. It sounds like your meal was delicious! My inlaws do paper and I have adjusted. I think it is totally great! Easier to clean up. And one day you'll be at a place in your life when you can trust your boys with the nice plates!
I don't have a single picture from the weekend. I kid you not. I didn't host, but I cooked everything and so my hands were constantly in motion or dirty or what have you. At the time I didn't care, but now I wish I had at least one. I was dressed pretty cute too! Sigh.
Your festivities look great! I am such a fan of paper plates- planet be damned! They make clean up a snap. But I do fantasize about cooking and hosting a Thanksgiving dinner where everything is on fine china and matching and everyone dressed accordingly. I will be sure to invite you if that ever happens :)
Oh Yum. Is the butternut bisque as good as Luna's? I love that soup. Way to go hosting Thanksgiving. I was remembering, as I set the table this year, of the year your family joined us for dinner. I'll post soon about our weekend.
sounds like you all had a yummy Thanksgiving.
But it would of be nice to see you in your Fantastic chocolate silk blouse. :)
I'm all about the chocolate blouse. Need pics! I have very little photographic evidence of my own existence past about 1991. So I totally get it. I hate pictures of myself, and yet I wish I had more. Weird.
It's really hard to understand just how much work a big holiday meal is until you've done it. I was so spoiled this year, barely lifted a finger! After several recent years of doing every last stitch of the work, I rather liked just being a guest. Wish you could've been there, too.
Your house looks like the perfect hosting house. So spacious.
Looks fabulous! How do you make a crustless cherry pie? Isn't it just pie filling then?
Was the bisque the recipe I linked you to? If so YAY! (It's the little things that make me feel special).
What a great weekend! How fun to play hostess.
Looks like you had a great time. Good for you to host by the way, and I love your hard wood floors. Your leather couch looks great in that room!
We went all out with the fancy plates, too... instead of plain old cheap paper plates like we use every Sunday (at the inlaws) we got the paper ones with festive turkeys on them! LOL I've never eaten on a real plate at their house.
I think I took a total of 4 pictures this year (and I just posted them) I wasn't in them either. Sad. Good job on the dinner. It looked like it went well. And the plates looked great from my angle!
I like the idea of dressing up for Thanksgiving dinner. If only I had a fantastic chocolate silk blouse and some herringbone trousers. I bet you looked dynamite!
your cherry pie looks yummy :)
Post a Comment