One of the many reasons I enjoy having boys is that I truly enjoy "boy"ish things. I love camping and sports and I've tolerated the whirlwind that has been NASCAR becoming the "thing-to-love" in our house.
A more typical choice of entertainment would be reading a good book (for my dad, usually a biography or church book; for my mother an English mystery) while listening to classical music. They usually have season tickets to the community concerts and we grew up very comfortable with Opera, piano concertos, and symphonies as part of our vocabulary.
The fine arts tend to be pricey, however, and I've noticed that during these lean years of medical training, I've lapsed in my attention to this area. My sister, Maureen, called last week and with enthusiasm, invited us to attend the season premier of the Utah Symphony. They were doing the Emperor's Concerto (Beethoven's famous 5th Piano Concerto) and Holst's Planets Suite. More out of a desire to go along with the invitation, than a personal passion, I agreed and Jay sort of absent mindedly consented to go along too.
Yesterday, the day of the symphony, turned busy. I ran around trying to get my passport and visa problems worked out while Jay got new tires on his car which required me to pick him up and drop him off. We also decided to drive to BYU's campus to get the "Fully Required" t-shirts on a day that we wouldn't be fighting 60,000 other fans for a parking spot. We managed to get back in time, but I picked up our babysitter a little late, and my plan of dinner at P.F. Chang's beforehand didn't work out. We ended up at Wendy's. Not exactly what you think of when you think of a night at the symphony.
Just your typical "let's-get-dressed-up-for-a-night-at-the-symphony" restaurant. Wait...don't all restaurants have a cardboard cut-out for photo opportunities?Our seats were on the second tier in Abravanel Hall and we could see the pianist's hands clearly as he and the symphony took turns playing the delightful themes of Beethoven. As soon as the first chords were played, I felt the familiar tug of my adolescence. I know this music. i love this music. I am comfortable in this atmosphere. As the concerto ended and the applause about to start, a single word defined the gulf between this world of violins, oboe's, tuxedos and high heels and the world of sweatshirts, logos, statistics and sports.
The word: Bravo.
I heard it many times throughout the thunderous applause that brought the soloist out for his third bow. Bravo! Bravo! (Jay even managed to shout it a time or two to show that he was fully participating.)
I thought, "No one would EVER yell Bravo at a NASCAR race or a Football game. And yet...here we are...cheering because we are pleased. Cheering because we've been entertained. And yet...."
There is a difference.
I'm happy shouting "Defense!". I'm willing to shout "Go! Go! Go!" at a restart.
But, last night reminded me that I'm a girl that needs to shout, "Bravo!" every so often.




29 comments:
I am totally loving that picture of Jay at Wendy's. So hilarious.
A night of bravo's sounds divine to me, especially after your crazy day.
As long as you don't get confused and yell "go! go! go!" in between movements, you're good. All I have to say to this post is: Bravo!
Great post and I totally agree...and isn't it fun to be one of those girls (women...whatever) who enjoys both!
I love this post! Seriously, you are an amzing writer! I am definitely more Nascar than Symphony...but could use a little refining myself! Sorry to hear P.F. Chang's didn't workout, but that photo at Wendy's is too cool!!!
"Bravo!" on your post! I also need to say "Bravo!" more offten.
OH PF is going to open up here in a few months. YUMMY!!!!!
I'm more Bravo than Defense. Jay is a good sport, not that you haven't earned it with a Nascar race ro two!
Glad you were able to go to the Symphony, it's good to break away from the defense! and go!go!go! once in awhile. I love the Wendy's photo, we are always going through the drive-thru so I don't know if ours has one or not!
My parents always tried to provide us with lots of "cultural" opportunites. I have missed that. I'm hoping to squeeze in a trip to Chicago to see Wicked.
Where are you going with your passport?
It's been so long since I've been to something like that and I have a houseful of girls!
What a nice evening Lucy! You even included a clip of the music... good touch. The Planets, I think, is one of the most well written/universally appreciated pieces of symphonic music.
I you really want to look cool, you try shouting "fantastico" or "bellisimo" next time! Lol.
I just picture that part in Pretty Woman at the polo match where she yells "wuwu wuoo" and everyone looks at her! That would be me at a symphony! I am up for anything though!
Hey- I love your hair, the color is magnificent!
I'm really glad you guys got to go. I think it's important to attend things we used to love.
BTW Jay's Wendy's photo is cracking me up!
Bravo to you Lucy! This is a very cute post. It looks like you guys are having a great time and are right in your element in SLC. I think the little image of your parents eating apples, and reading books is adorable. As Rebecca says "there's a lid to every pot" and your parents are so cute, they seem to match perfectly.
It's great that you can enjoy the best of both worlds. I'd like to think I'm well balanced but I'd definitely rather be shouting "Go!" any day of the week, so I guess my interests are much more one-sided than I'd like to admit.
Glad you had a good time! Jay has the best cross-eyed face. :)
So that was you yelling Bravo in the balcony. I thought I recognized you. Why was your husband yelling, "Next time try to move a little faster down pit road?"
Anonymous friend
I love live music, there's really nothing like it - it's so moving. It sounds like you had a busy day, I'm glad you made it to the concert.
Tyler and I like to go to the symphony too! It makes me feel "grown-up". Plus...you can't have suffered through Junior High band and not emerge with an appreciation for TALENTED musicians!
- a former sucky french horn player
A night at the symphony sounds divine. Our high brow entertainment usually only gets to the point of musical theater. Next Saturday, I'll join the Cougar fans shouting "Go, go, go". A night at the symphony will have to wait for another time of my life I guess.
That picture of Jay rocks! Love it! Let him know that I'll think of him every time we drive through Wendy's-which is quite often! Sounds like such a fun night out-even if you didn't get to dine at Pf Changs-oh, that sounds so good right now!
I can't remember the last time I was in Abravanel Hall or at any kind of concert. I'm so jealous - I miss hearing wonderful music and the feeling of "bravo!"
what a fun post and a great way to tie your loves together.
i am happy you had a wonderful night out.
Jay looks like one of your boys in that picture at Wendys, I haven't thought that before.
I enjoy taking the kids to the free symphony. There is one at Abravanel Hall and this year we are going to the Provo Tabernacle on Nov. 8th. We haven't been to this one the other is usually in the spring.
I like a good balance. Unfortunately culture cost, usually. I'm glad you got to go out for a fun night.
Now that you have gone "high-falutin", I need you to answer this: when does one use the term "Brava"? I have heard that screamed as I dig through the dumpster behind the opera house. So, the question is, is Brava feminine? Is bravo masculine? I wouldn't want to shame the ward choir director by shouting the wrong one. (especially since my hubby is John's 1st counselor - he might just get kicked off the stand.)
Melissa - I am going to Thailand and Myanmar in a couple of months. Myanmar has some funky requirements for a visa!
Lei - I felt silly at Jay's shouting Bravo. I'm fairly certain I could not pull off Fantastico!
Jill - I don't think my hair is actually this light. It must have been the flash or something but I'm getting my hair done in a few weeks and I think I might ask her to go that light because I like it too!
Amie - I think it's absolutely hilarious that you can see Jay in our kids only when his face is framed by red braids and he has his eyes crossed. I don't think my kids are that weird looking!
Calamity Jane - so many questions...dumpster? What? I've actually never heard "Brava" - are you sure you heard that right or was a banana peel stuck on your ear? As for using it for your ward choir - I dare you! ;)
That picture is hilarious and to think you had to go as far as Wendy's for it? Ha ha!!
Sounds like it was a good time anyhow and I was relieved to hear that you got those t-shirts for the boys!
And after lunch when I was getting some Smilies (gummy treats) for my kids I saw in bold letters on the box that it said "Gluten Free". I think of you every time I see gluten free stuff now. I admire that you can shop and cook around that, I can't imagine it would be easy!
How is it we always seem to have matching hair? Ah well, I'm going dark tomorrow.
Very fun post- I'm glad you got to go.
And what happened to Wendy's dress and pinafore? A baseball shirt??
bra·va (brä'vä, brä-vä') Pronunciation Key
interj. Used to express approval of a woman, especially for a performance.
n. A shout or cry of "brava."
[Italian, feminine of bravo, bravo; see bravo1.]
Oh yea, I heard right, I decided to look it up on Dictionary.com - who's wearing the banana peel now??? ;)
I can definitely relate to you on this point. We totally avoid high ticket entertainment right now because of our other indulgences, i.e. turning on the air conditioner from time to time. But I look forward to getting in touch with my more musical past when we have a little more financial breathing room. Bravo to you for making it to an event!
P.S. Definitely digging the hair!
I want to go to the symphony if it means getting to yell "Bravo!"
Post a Comment