Monday, September 24, 2007

Potatoes, Piano Lessons and the Post Please Me

It's been a good day. This morning was relaxing (maybe too much so, I never did take my walk). I talked on the phone with some friends, I picked Sarah up from the airport and we went and had lunch at Cafe Rio before she headed off to work. Then I got some organizing done and cleaned out our coat closet downstairs (can you believe it was already horribly in chaos after only three months of living? Games everywhere, wrapping paper shoved in, vacuum parts hidden in corners). That made me motivated to hang some more pictures on my walls. Nothing earth shattering, just more reminders that we actually live here, and it's not just some motel we're staying at for awhile. I like seeing my boys above the T.V. The frames are too small for the wall, but I'm going to have to deal for a year.

It's time for a new picture of Sam and Henry. Henry still has his long baby hair in the picture!

A weird thing about living here, is that I forget about getting the mail every day. I have to walk down a street and use a key and there are many days where it simply does not register on my "to-do" list. I remembered today and inside my small, metal box there were a couple of keys to the bigger boxes which means there were packages (it's kind of like Let's Make A Deal - except I get to keep the small stuff too. Yippee....credit card offers and job offers for radiologists in Florida!). Inside the big box There was an envelope full of homemade cards from my super-talented sister-in-law, Tara. She has been making cards with stamps for years now, and hers look completely professional. I LOVE them. Additionally, an old friend proved a kinship with me by mailing me a late birthday present! Thank you Rebecca! It's a perfect smelly candle, all warm and cozy and yummy smelling. And I totally would still have an unsent birthday present for a friend months later. I love that you sent it.

I never posted a picture of this, but as I was reading tonight, I was using my bookmark that RoRo sent me a few weeks ago. Very thoughtful and it added to my pleasant mood.

I love hand-made stuff! Why don't I like to hand make stuff????

What really contributed to my pleasant mood, though, was my sister Maureen coming by after her class at the U and playing with my boys. We had just gotten back from the park, so I felt like I had done sort of o.k. by my boys...getting them outside and such, but she took them back outside and played catch with them for over half an hour while I picked up and thought about dinner.

Afterwards, inside, she gave them their second piano lesson. Seth really takes to it. It's not like he's a prodigy or anything, and he seems to struggle with the rhythm a bit, but he loves the structure of it. When he was done, he clapped his hands together, and said, "Well, mom, I just had my second lesson. It's coming along!" Sammy followed and was really frustrated but Seth went over to reassure him that he had thought it was hard too, but he just kept trying and it turned into a really fun time! They've both practiced several times already this evening, in the spirit of mastering their tasks for next week. Maureen is a great teacher and I love that she is willing to do this for her nephews.

We had Nuke Potatoes (a la Staggering Ox for my homies) tonight for dinner, which, for us, is the equivalent of spaghetti or mac-n-cheese. Nice and easy. Microwave the potatoes, cut them up in bowls and cover them with onions, green peppers, ham, pepperoni and cheese. Then broil them until the cheese is bubbling. We top ours with a little ranch dressing and it's the perfect easy dinner.

I got in half of a great book, Their Eyes Were Watching God, and went on a soda run with Maureen before she went home. My downstairs is clean (I'm not saying anything about my upstairs) and I'm feeling content with my day.

Who knew piano lessons, potatoes and the post could have me feeling so at peace?

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

How nice to read about a good day for you! Blogs are great, but I'm missing an email. Sending love.

Kristin said...

There's nothing that some good potatoes can't make a little better...I'm glad you had a good day.

Melissa said...

I'm glad Seth likes piano. That is a battle I fight with Zak every day.

Jen Childers said...

Sounds like a perfectly wonderful day! I wish Maureen were around for lessons around here. She is truly talented. I've never attempted to recreate the Ox....maybe I'll need to. Your potatoes sounds yummy. I have that book in my pile of "to read" books. How are you liking it so far? I think Christopher started it, but didn't like it...I guess I can wait for your review. I just finished a really great one. A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier. You should check it out. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I love that kind of day, nothing out of the ordinary, but just a day in the life of Lucy! I was worried about you a few posts ago, I know those kinds of days are bound to happen, but I don't like to think of you feeling so blue.
I know the potatoes are always a favorite thing, what a great idea for dinner!
How fun for the boys to take piano, I have been looking for a used one so Madelynn can start taking lessons.
Hey I realize I don't have your new address, please email me!

donna said...

Oh that is so great that Maureen is teaching your boys piano. What a talented famiily you all have.

Anonymous said...

What a great day of nothing special. I love those kinds of days. I loved Their Eyes Were Watching God. I loved the language even though it took me a while to get into it.

carlo said...

great title and good post. love the cuties above the tv.

how good do those potatoes sound?

really, 3 months there already? i guess that is what happens when i take 6 weeks off from blogging.

andrea said...

Those potatoes sound SO good! I'll have to sample the original and then try and recreate it.

Glad you had such a happy day. Emma, Eli and Jonah are all doing piano and they are having fun with it.

jenny said...

It's always fun to talk to you on the phone. And it never takes long for the closets, etc to get messy. Kids definitely keep us busy :)

The t.v. looks great--very prime time television worthy :)

I will have to try that Staggering Ox recipe--I just ate the sandwiches in Helena but never those potatoes. My kids LOVE anything with ranch so it should be an issue.

I need a Maureen piano teacher!

Lei said...

The nuke potatoes sound yummy. Love the productive days!

Tara said...

Good ol' Staggering Ox. We frequently make pizza potatoes. The kids don't eat them but Jon and I love them.

That's so great that Maureen is teaching your kids and that they're taking to it so well.

Kari said...

Super cute cards! I got me in some good organizing today too (I needed it bad - it just took me forever to convince myself just how bad I needed it!)

You have such a wonderful sister, it sounds like! Blessed you!

Rachel said...

I'm more of a buy hand made things than a make hand made things kind of gal, as well. But it's even better when they are gifts, isn't it?

What a blessing to have such a wonderful sister to come and play with your boys, AND give them piano lessons! Invaluable!

Those potatoes sound awesome! Easy recipes don't get enough credit! Often their the tastiest ones!

I'm glad you are feeling at peace. Today is a turmoil one for me, but I find comfort knowing peace is often around the corner.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Lucy, those potatoes sound wonderful...I'm going to remember that recipe. Thanks.

Barb said...

Perhaps you've perceived the path to paradise: piano lessons, potatoes, and post!

Jill said...

Your last sentence really sums things up, but I would have to say I'm sure receiving such nice good mail had to help! Those cards are darling.

Calamity Jane said...

Staggering ox is such a wonderful name, I want to make them just to say it to my family. Unfortunately my family usually eats "funky chicken" the funky usually means they think it stinks;)

Glad you had a perfect day!

Libby said...

MMM-those potatoes look tasty. What a good idea. I'll never forget how you and Jay love potaotes but hate tomatoes. That's funny. How fun to be able to hang out with Maureen. The pictures of the boys are so cute.

Anonymous said...

How am I so freaking behind on your blog? Hm...

Your last sentence is great- I will have to try those potatoes out on my family. We need easier recipes around here for when I am in a pinch. I got my bookmark from RoRo and have rather enjoyed opening a book to see it.