Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Call Nights

Call nights are definitely a love/hate thing for me.

Love

  • relaxed day. No need to hurry up and get things done by 5:30 to prove that I've actually done something productive that day.
  • dinner. Quick and easy carbohydrates when it's only the kids to feed. (Jay doesn't consider it a meal unless there is some animal product on the table.)
  • quiet evening. My boys are talkers and the quiet after they are in bed is so nice. No need to nod and "uh-huh" every few seconds.
Hate

  • LOOOOOOONG day. 4:30 comes around and it aint over anytime soon.
  • conflicts. Sucks paying for babysitting when I have bookgroup, choir etc.
  • Tired husband the next day. Or lately, just another day without him as postcall days have become perfect moonlighting days.
Tonight, I had to watch the finale of "So You Think You Can Dance?" all by myself. I discovered that it is a show that should be watched with other people. It's been my star show for weeks now but tonight all I could think was Lame, Lame, Lame, Lame, Lame! (the boys have been watching The Incredibles EVERY day for about 2 weeks and there's this scene when Syndrome says that when he thinks Mr. Incredible has sent out a signal for help but really it's just that his wife, Elastigirl, has triggered the homing device that Edna built into his supersuit because he's been lying about being fired from his job at an insurance agency and resuming superhero work for Mirage and she doesn't know where he is.) Anyway, it wasn't nearly as good tonight. Very redundant and obnoxiously long and drawn out. I should know better getting involved with FOX.

So, I'm on my way to bed. I'm never motivated to go to bed when Jay is on call. The weird thing is, I'm not the sort of person who needs someone to go to bed with. I often go to bed earlier or later than Jay. I'm not scared or creeped out or anything like that. But I definitely find myself procrastinating bedtime when he's gone. The time I actually turn out the light is almost always notably later than usual.

On a completely random note, I can't shake this smell from a thermos I cleaned out of Jay's truck. I knew he took it with him to work so he could mix up a protein shake but I had no idea it could possibly smell so bad or I would have thrown it away before opening up that weapon. I've burned a candle, sprayed a cinnamon spray, washed my hands 3 times with smelly sun-ripened raspberry soap, cleaned the sink, run the dishwasher and still the smell lingers somewhere unidentifiable. Hopefully it'll be gone in the morning.

I got nothing to tie all that up in a neat little package. But I couldn't end this post without noting this awful smell. Sour milk with a vengeance.

3 comments:

jenny said...

All I know is that I second you on all those things that you listed about call. Its definitely a love/hate relationship. I wonder how they feel about it?

Did the smell go away? There is nothing worse than rotten milk smell YUCK! Does he drink it on the way to work or eat cereal in the car? Hopefully you can get your house back to smelling more "normal" again soon.

Emily said...

Baking soda? Vinegar? I hate that smell.

Jay said...

I'm just sad that I lost that great thermos. It was perfect for my protein shakes. So perfect, that after the first 2 or 3 it sat on the floor of my pickup for about 3 months!!!