One of the most shocking discoveries upon becoming an adult was learning that Dad wasn't perfect. For a long time, I assumed that Dad was a bit God-like: omniscient and omnipotent. I wouldn't say the fear of those powers were what kept me on the straight and narrow for the majority of my youthful years, but the idea of his possible disappointment in me definitely contributed to my motivation to make good choices. Years later, when some bad behavior and choices went undetected by Dad, the perk of avoiding his disappointment, not to mention his judgment and punishment, came at the cost of realizing he was human after all.
I think when he finally became aware of my actions and the consequences of my behavior, he was blindsided. As baffled as I was by his surprise, I was more bewildered by the absence of any anger. Instead, he was immensely concerned about me and offered me advice and help. There was no question of his forgiveness because it was automatic. After the dust had settled, I remember asking him why he was never suspicious of who I was with or where I was going.
"Dad! You've been a bishop! You've been in a stake presidency! You are a lawyer! You understand human nature and that people get in trouble and do dumb things!" I reasoned.
"But those are stupid people!" Dad replied. "And my children are not stupid people."
I still smile when I think of his response. I love the faith he has in his children. He may not be omniscient or omnipotent but he is merciful and full of charity... quite Godlike after all.
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
To Err Is Human...To Forgive Is Divine
Posted by
Lucy
at
2:58 PM
Labels: Memories of my Dad
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
This is so sweet! Thanks for sharing this memory. This recollection confirms that your Dad certainly is a very wonderful Dad!
very sweet.
Lucy, these are so fun to read. Your writing only makes them better.
What a great dad.
I love your dad's response! He sounds like an amazing, wise person.
Post a Comment