I’ve decided to try and fill in the many, many, many blank spaces missing from my blog last year. I am sad I didn’t try to capture more day-to-day moments on camera, but in light of playing catch up, it’s probably best that I really only have pictures of some of the bigger events. I plan to post in no chronological order, just as the mood strikes and I find the pictures I need.
For Christmas LAST year, a few sisters and I bought my mom a ride in a hot air balloon during the Albuquerque Fiesta Balloon Festival. It is the largest hot air balloon festival in North America and my mom had put riding in one of the balloons on her bucket list. I got myself a ticket too.
She, in turn, bought our dad a ticket to ride for his birthday in May. It wasn’t until they sent a reminder email in early September that I read the fine print and in large, bold letters, it stated that under no circumstance would pregnant or could-be pregnant woman ride. Had I not been gigantically pregnant, I may have challenged their fetus-carrying discrimination but figured maybe it was in my and the baby’s best interest not to ride. My sister, Sarah, got my ticket for her birthday. Gotta love the ability to regift.
Once October 4th came, there were health problems and weather problems and it was almost a no-go but they ultimately got cleared for take off. It was beautiful to watch and I think all three enjoyed their hour up in the air. My dad had two hernias that had been bothering him for awhile and standing for that long really aggravated his pain but he still says he’s glad he did it.
They all said it was surprisingly peaceful. Very quiet. I hope to go sometime.
We had to arrive very early in the morning. At 5:45, I think. We had no idea where we were going so it was good we got there as early as we did because it took us a good half hour to find the right booth.
Then, with the weather being what it was, we had to wait and wait and wait.
Will they go up or won’t they?
My dad in his happy place: talking to complete strangers.
The balloon gets some air. They aren’t actually doing anything helpful. It’s just a photo op.
Cute ballooners in the morning sun.
I love my mom and her adventurous spirit.
I love this natural happy look too.
Sarah is ready to go.
Waving goodbye to the pregnant lady stuck on the ground.
Lifting off
Going over my head.
What their balloon looked like.
A cute balloon.
They lift off in waves. It’s quite a site.
Pink elephants on parade.


1 comment:
What a great thing to put on a bucket list! I loved the enthusiasm of your mom's in that picture as well.
I love reading about your family. You are truly a gifted writer.
Post a Comment