For the past two months, I have been suffering what I self-diagnosed as partum depression. Of course, when I mentioned my concern to my doctor, she asked me if I had any suicidal thoughts and when I replied, "No," she said, "Well, it's not really a great surprise that you feel down. You're throwing up and tired and have all sorts of hormones running through you." Lucky for her, my feelings of contempt towards others has been somewhat universal and there isn't enough spare spite to hold a very strong grudge towards her professional blow-off.
While it's true that I never wanted to "do myself in," I have felt like an alien was controlling my thoughts and feelings. It wasn't me at all. The world at large and people in particular overwhelmed and annoyed me. The simplest stresses became major irritants. I could fake normality for a few hours if I had to but those close to me usually paid the price later in the evening with some major moodiness and emotional withdrawal.
I tried perspective. In truth, I have been an anti-Job. Job, who intellectually must have known his right to complain and curse his fate, spiritually couldn't leave the God he loved. Me? Intellectually, I know every single reason to be grateful, happy, at peace with what is happening to my body but spiritually, I have had some rather murmurous moments and hope Heavenly Father will forgive my rather biting thoughts towards Him and how I'd have arranged to bring about the human race in an altogether less obnoxious way.
I use the past tense because for the past few days, I feel more and more confident that I am shedding this alien skin and replacing it with my own. I feel more like....me. And I like me!!!
I have been blessed and exhausted with both a trip and company for the last three weeks and I'm sure all of that forced socialization and out-of-my-cave excursions have helped my mental state. I'll report on all of that soon, I promise (mom).
There have been many, many times when I have wished to be the type of person who can be gracious in the midst of trials. These past months have only been the latest in my own history that prove that I have a lot yet to learn about the "Be still and know that I am God," counsel. Is it wrong of me to blame the hormones? Is that part of me still me? I can't help but wonder if my meltdown is just a preview of things to come. Will I be maniacal in menopause. Or, when I'm old and perhaps ill or stiff or lonely or forgetful, will not feeling like "me" turn me into a crotchety crank? Am I really responsible for all of my bad behavior?
For what it's worth, I appreciate the notes, texts, emails and calls to check in on me. I felt the baby move for the first time last night and had what I think is the first non-forced positive thought towards this pregnancy since it began. I'm not sure why feeling what is akin to a bag of microwave popcorn going off in my stomach should bring peace and joy to my troubled mind, but it did. And at sixteen weeks, I am more than ready for a change of heart.
Friday, July 08, 2011
It Wasn't Me
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
Welcome back to the land of the living!
This post was heartfelt and beautiful. Hormones can do a helluvalotta changes within us ... I know those feelings you articulated well. I also can relate to the struggle with what part I'm responsible for when I wake, fully aware that the day feels like it is going to be a rage day. My life coach (who lives in your town, btw) reminds me that I make choices (often choosing to wallow in the cryptonite pile instead of the superpower pile) ... but I'm not entirely convinced that the hormones don't often render my personal choices null and void. I do take heart with my mother's counsel - "this too shall pass."
Praying for a smooth and joyful second half of the journey towards meeting your new bundle of blessing.
Hey Luc-Hang in there girl. How far along are you now? Hey, we are having a little mini staycation and are staying at the same hotel that you guys stayed at the last time you were here. Not the same without you. We are in a trade group and found out that they are too. Life is better in AZ when there is access to a pool. xoxoxo
Lucy,
I know EXACTLY how you feel - except I'm not gestating a child and puking like you which I can't even imagine on top of the depression. I can totally relate to the feeling of my thoughts being under attack, the anti- Job sentiment, and the short fuse.
So glad that 'microwave popcorn' in your belly brought some joy to your troubled heart. It may still be a long road ahead but just keep telling yourself you'll get through.
Love your openness and perfect wording of it all. Sending good thoughts and love your way.
Amanda
Love you, Lucy! Love your honesty!!!
Bekki
I like you too!!!! ;) I'm so glad you're finding some joy.
That is an interesting thought about how you might be as an old person. I've just always pictured myself the same temperament, but with more wrinkles, but you make a good point. My husband remembers his grandma as always being grumpy, but my mother-in-law has told me some wonderful stories about her---the grumpiness came as she aged and things started to hurt.
There! you've reinforced my decision to never get old!
Hugs. I hope things continue to improve!!!!
So glad you are feeling more like your jovial self! Looking forward to another fun week with you :)
Lucy you have such a great way with words. I don't know if I have a great comment, but I only see good things in the end for you and your growing family. Love you.
I am relieved to see your head up again - and fighting! Fight those terrible hormons - at least with humor where possible... And have a good day!
Love you Lucy! Hang in there!
I'm glad you were able to make it this way to see us even if you weren't feeling your best.
So sorry you have been feeling this way. I am grateful that you have people close to you that are helping you during your hard time.
Post a Comment