Monday, April 04, 2011

Biggest Loser - Reflections From Final Weigh-In

After 3 months of waking up at 5 am Monday through Friday, exercising with an intensity I never have before and keeping a daily nutritional log, I have reached the end of the Biggest Loser journey. In many ways, I am sad to no longer have the program to guide me on my quest for health and fitness. But, I know I have the tools in my head, heart and body to be successful on my own. I'm not done yet...not even close.

I lost 2 more pounds from last week making my total loss from January 3rd to April 4th 33 pounds. It's a number I'm feeling better about after learning that last year's winner, who lost over 40 pounds, had quite a bit of help with some cleanses. I'm not saying my colon is carrying an extra 7 to 10 pounds, and if it is then I'm seriously disturbed, but I'm glad that I know that all of my weight loss came off healthily and from making the lifestyle changes I need to keep it off.

I'm more excited about some other final numbers, however. In three months, I have lost 12 percent of my body fat. From each arm, I have lost 1.25 inches. From my chest, I have lost 2 inches (of all my areas, I was hoping for more from here.  Aren't women always complaining about losing their bosoms first?  Sadly, mine are persistent). From my upper abs, I have lost 4 inches. From my lower abs, I have lost 3.5 inches. From my hips, I have lost 5 inches! (I can't wait to fly.  Five inches just might keep me from touching the person next to me and that is one of my goals!)  From my legs, 2 inches off each. And, finally, my calves are .75 inches smaller. That is a total of 22.5 inches....gone! That's almost two feet off my body.

I believe there have been some definitive reasons for my success. First and foremost, I have the most supportive husband and children. They have never complained about my absence in the mornings. They have found ways to work together and become efficient at getting to work and school with new routines and habits. Last Thursday, when Jay and I needed to drive for a total of seven hours round trip to pick up his new truck, I chose to ignore my 5 am alarm. In my head, I justified my future missed workout with the defense that I didn't want to be in my car for any longer than I already needed to (it takes 20 minutes to get to where I work out. That's 40 minutes total). When Jay realized I wasn't moving, he literally started poking me in the back. Poke, poke, poke. After several minutes of him ignoring my protests and explanations that it just wasn't going to be a workout day, I realized he wasn't going to stop. So, I got out of bed, drove into town and had an awesomely hard boot camp workout. I hate it when he's right but I'm grateful when he's supportive.

Secondly, signing up and paying to participate in this program did what is called "putting some skin in the game." It was a significant chunk of change, an uncomfortable amount to waste, and there was a level of accountability, to trainers and teammates, that I've never experienced when I've tried to do it alone. Every day, I knew I had a class to attend. Every day, the workout was varied, difficult and pushed me past the point of being comfortable. And I had to go. For 2  hours, every day but Sunday, I had to go. Also, having someone literally look over everything I ate, every day for the first month (after that it was more random and eventually, just a verbal confession if I overate) was a huge motivation to eat well. Obviously, going to a gym on your own and eating healthy foods in appropriate portions all on your own will work, but I just never was consistent enough on my own to develop the necessary habits. I had to up the ante.

Third, I really think the size of my gym was ideal for me to shed my usual comfort of anonymity. I know ALL of the instructors. I'm starting to know a lot of the other people who come to work out. It's not a big gym where you can get lost and everyone keeps to themselves. There are no rows of treadmills or ellipticals, no large room of weights. Instead, there are three small studios and the only option is to take a class where they use toys you could buy on your own (kettlebells, bosu balls, resistance bands, medicine and fitness balls etc.) and be seen. Each time I ever joined Weight Watchers, I'd go to meetings for a few months but then stop because I couldn't see the point of paying to have someone weigh me and then sitting quietly for the class because I didn't know anyone. Sure, I could have been outgoing and gregarious and I could have made comments and been more involved. But, I didn't do it. Ever. I get oddly shy in situations like that. Same goes for large gyms. I don't even like to go to classes because it always seems like everyone knows each other. The small sized forced me out of my comfort zone and I think knowing and being known by like-minded individuals is a definite advantage.

Lastly, journaling about it has helped. I know I wrote about how embarrassed I was when my pictures were first taken and when my weight was displayed on that blasted white board, but, eventually, I lost that ego. Everyone knew how hard I was working so I cared less about the exposure. It almost became a source of motivations as more and more people started noticing the changes in my ability and size. The same thing happened here. Your comments, support and feedback kept me going. I've always wanted to quietly and, without fanfare, overcome my weight issue. Kind of like how I always wished I could keep my pregnancies quiet for longer so that the 40 weeks seemed shorter somehow. But, no, 5...maybe 6 weeks along and pretty much anyone who made eye contact with me would hear me confess my condition. I'm kind of a blabbermouth. It would have gone against my nature to go through the Biggest Loser silently. I'm so glad I was able to share it. Thank you for being so supportive.

Because I'm vain, I had to take a picture with some make-up on and clothes that weren't stretchy. Plus, I really didn't have any pictures of me over the last three months. No full body shots. It was interesting looking at the pictures I asked Seth to take this afternoon. I can see how far I've come but can still see so far to go. I'm going to take more pictures. I think it'll help me get where I want to go.

I'll still check in now and then. I'm not stopping and I've got some new goals to keep me in check, but it probably won't be a weekly post. But, it might be. If I need it to be.





February 6th.  Twelve pounds lost.  Only picture I have of me since early December in Memphis.  I didn't post this at the time because I was so disappointed with how I looked even after losing twelve pounds.  


Today, April 4th.   21 pounds lighter from picture above.


In normal clothes.  I bought these jeans at the end of last summer and couldn't wear them.  I couldn't even button them.  They are almost too big now.  

28 comments:

Jen Childers said...

33 pounds and over 22 inches is amazing! You look absolutely wonderful and I am super proud of you

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

INCREDIBLE! I am so proud of you. You look terrific. I mean really terrific. What a price, what a prize. Way to go.

BAK said...

You look so amazing!! Congratulations. Thanks for sharing your journey with us. I've looked forward to your posts so much.

Lisa said...

YOU LOOK GREAT!! Congrats Lucy, that is a HUGE accomplishment.

{krista} said...

Lucy, you look awesome! Congrats are definitely in order!

Bridget said...

Great job!!! You look fantastic!!!!!!

Lori said...

The mark of a great person is their ability to persevere and endure through tough situations. Not only did you persevere and endure....you ROCKED IT!!!! You look amazing and are an inspiration to so many others. Thanks so much for sharing your journey. By the way, cute shirt!

Lisa said...

Lucy I am so proud of you! I so look forward to your weekly update. You are my new inspiration. I truly hope you can see the difference. The best part though, is how you feel. I know you have to physically feel better! You look so great and it is a true inspiration to your boys. PLUS...summer is coming, aren't you excited to be feeling better about yourself!

Becky said...

You are looking FABULOUS!!! Keep on posting. I need the motivation!

Amy Sorensen said...

BIG congrats, Lucy. I am totally impressed at your dedication. I HATE getting up that early and I only do it every other day. Not every day. That in itself is impressive. But here's the thing: you stuck with it. Everyone else wimped out. Not you! You did it, so now you can keep doing it.

Sniff. Happy sniff, friend!!!!

Susan said...

Lucy! You look awesome! But more importantly, you feel awesome, and that's the bigger success! More power to you!

Stephanie said...

You look great! I love your yellow outift!

Congratulations!!!!

Carolee said...

Wow!! I am so impressed with how you stuck to it and it has paid off. You look so great! Working out is so hard to do and you should get extra points for getting up so early:) I really struggle with eating right especially when I am cooking for a family so that fact that you did it gives me motivation! BTW I now want to read Dave Ramsey's book after reading your previous post:)

Bekki said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed every one of you "Biggest Loser" posts and many times thought I should post and let you know how proud I am of you, but alas I didn't. I was cheering you on silently - did you hear me. :) You look amazing! Seriously, I'm so proud of you!!! Are we on for the Bolder Boulder this year? Please keep giving us Biggest Loser posts, I'll miss them if you don't. Love ya!

Inside A Book said...

Whoa!! Great job. Your progress is encouraging to all of us who struggle to achieve and do something more than we are doing. Thanks for posting!

Kelly said...

You go girl!!

Denise said...

You rock,Lucy. Seriously fabulous. And inspiring!

Tara said...

I'm so so SO excited for you! What an awesome accomplishment. The inches and pounds are amazing but I think the self-mastery that is gained from something like this feels just as gratifying. Good for you. Keep it up, I'm very impressed and you look wondeful!

melanie said...

You look DANG good Lucy! I love your yellow shirt and your hair is cute too. I've been rooting for you from day one, I'm so proud of you for sticking with it. Especially those early mornings when it was cold outside. Way to stick with something, I can tell you do feel better about yourself and the progress you've made. WAY. TO. GO.

Libby said...

Hot Mama!

Elisa Taylor said...

Congratulations Lucy, you look great!!!

Barb said...

You look fantastic!

Carrie said...

WOW!! you look so beautiful!! love the outfit.

jenny said...

I am so proud of you!! So fun to chat the other day. We need to do it more often!

Anonymous said...

This whole post has me smiling from ear to ear. You look great. Amazing! Look at your arms and your hands!!! I know it is silly to notice, but your hands look slim! You look good in yellow and I agree- those pants are too big :)

Keep it up my friend- you are rocking this thing!

Elizabeth said...

Way to go Lucy! You look great and I love the advice!

Randi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You look great, Lucy. More importantly, your writing about your experiences inspires me -- Thanks! Randi