Monday, February 07, 2011

Biggest Loser - Week 5

What could I expect?  I barely worked out on either Monday or Tuesday (Monday being the big measurement day so we did that instead of Spin and Tuesday, the Boot Camp gym was locked so they sent us to spin but I didn't have bike shorts on and had to leave early anyways to get Seth to an orthodontist appointment so I just drove home and ran on the treadmill for 20 minutes) and then I had family in town this weekend and a Super Bowl party at my house.  So...yeah...not ideal.

Still, it could be worse.  I did lose one pound.  And I am feeling thin...er.  I know this will be an odd statement but I am like an anti-anorexic.  I seriously forget how big I am until I look at pictures of myself.  So, team that sentiment with losing weight and looser and looser clothing and I have a totally unrealistic image of myself in my head as smaller (and thus more able to eat things like a handful of chips and a cupcake during a Super Bowl party) than I really am or ever will be unless can stay focused on what is real and what my goals are.

It's not like I'm not working hard anymore.  I got my spin shoes set up with cleats and they make such a difference in my workouts.   I am able to do the sprint portions with so much less bouncing and more control.  Also, today, I did three sets of 50 second planks when 20 seconds was more than I could handle only a month ago.  So...I'm getting stronger.  I know I am.

But, I still have a long, long way to go.  And I can't forget that.  I can't think that I'm close and allow myself little cheats here and there.  If I do, I am only cheating myself by making this....really great experience/ordeal go on longer than I'd like.  Because, really, I'd like to be at my college weight by September.  That's my goal. And I think it's attainable.  Again...only if I keep my eyes on the prize.

I know life happens.  I know that I did a lot better eating-wise yesterday than I would have had I not been in this Biggest loser program but I have got to keep myself from slipping into old habits.  Old habits are what got me into this weight crisis anyway.  My old habits are BAD!  

Highlights of the week:  Doing the punching bag with boxing gloves on.  I've really only air boxed before but I can hit that bag!  I'd consider myself a pacifist but hitting that bag makes me think I'd really be a contender.  Or at least someone you might want to avoid in a rumble.

Also, we had a stair workout where we had to go up the stairs one at a time, then sprint down, then take the stairs two at a time, the sprint down and then three at a time and sprint down.  We had seven minute intervals and the goal was to do as many sets as we could fit in.  I have become quite good friends with another woman in the class and I think we mostly like each other because we're both competitive and push each other to work out harder.  She did the stairs before me and as I was going up and down, she shouted from the elliptical machine that she was doing, "Lucy, I did sixteen sets.  If you can't do sixteen sets then you're not working hard enough."  Now, you might think that kind of statement would be annoying.  It could be.  But, I know she said it because she saw how tired I was and that I was slowing down.  Not knowing where I was in the seven minute time frame, I picked up my pace, even though my heart rate monitor was going crazy and even started beeping at me for being dangerously above my maximum heart rate zone.  I got to sixteen sets and knew time was short and her husband said when I got to the top of the stairs, "One more and you beat her."  I replied, "Oh...I'm going to beat her."  And I did!  I did seventeen sets and almost fainted but when the time was up, we gave each other hugs and she told me I was awesome.  It's really fun to make friends, especially ones that challenge you to be more than you even think you can be.

Lowlights:  Only four of us stayed in the program.  Our class feels small and if one of us is gone then you almost feel let down.  I suppose the pressure is good but I liked our class of seven.  It was more...festive.

I am leaving on Thursday for a ski trip in Montana with Jay and some of our old friends.  I'm beyond excited to see them and to ski at Whitefish (squee!) but nervous about having two weeks in a row with poor results.  So, my goal for the week is obviously to push myself hard during the Mon-Thurs workout and to eat clean, clean clean!  While we're gone and eating out for every. single. meal, I need to remember that the purpose of the trip is to ski and be with friends - NOT to eat.  I can go to a restaurant and order a fruit plate.  I can order a salad with things withheld and on the side.  Even if others order dessert, I can watch and smile and enjoy the conversation and not covet their cheesecake.  I can travel and not gain weight.  I know I can...I know I can....I know I can....

7 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I'm proud of you Lucy. I cannot imagine having your endurance while cutting back so many calories.

I like traveling because I usually lose a few pounds when we do. (It's probably from not drinking as much, but it's still fun to come home to a scale that rewards you because it missed you.) So maybe just borrowing the mindset that traveling makes some people lose weight will be a comfort.

And, good heavens, skiing should be great exercise.

Anonymous said...

I think I am an anti-anorexic as well- that is seriously such a great way of describing it!

Your pep talk here about the little cheats cheating yourself was something I needed to read. THANKS!

Good luck with the clean eating this week and making smart choices while you are with friends. Being fit and thinner will feel better than a piece of cheesecake- trust me! I believe in YOU!

Have fun rocking it on the slopes this weekend!

Unknown said...

I completely identified with your paragraph about being anti-anorexic. Sometimes I say I have reverse body dysmorphic disorder. I think I look fine but in reality I need to lose 50 lbs or so.

Wave if you pass Butte; have a great trip! You can do it!

Tara said...

You definitely can do it! Have a great trip. A kid-free get-away sounds wonderful.

Lisa said...

Lucy have a fabulous vacation! Last night I went for my first walk/run last night after a year off. It was hell. My ass/fat was shaking so much it almost hurt. I'm so glad you have cleated spin shoes, it does make such a difference. You are doing amazing, and I know you will continue!

Wendy Hill said...

Lucy - I am so inspired by your stick-to-itiveness! Yesterday, I had a mini meltdown, just because a title and 500 words (I mean, do you realize how difficult it is to hook someone with only 500 words) lost a YA Novel Discovery Contest. Someone on FB commented that maybe my rejection pile is getting close to the size of theirs and I had to inwardly cringe because really I've hardly sent anything out (indeed, the entry in the contest was partly motivated by the appeal of being discovered without the leg work of submission to actual publishers).

I like the idea of me as a published author, but the work involved in getting there is often intimidating and I have horrible self-speak (telling myself that my words really don't matter and I'm an excellent cheerleader for other writers, but will never amount to a hill of beans myself).

Sounds like you are battling the self-talk and the intimidating work with persistent finesse! Keep up the hard work and have a wonderful vacation (now there's something I could use).

Barb said...

I hope you had a great time in Whitefish! I'm heading there in six days - I can't wait!