Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Book Review - Classic #8 - The Power of One



I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love a good title.  The Power of One may seem obvious, especially after reading the book's jacket which says, "In this magical novel, an irresistible boy tells the story of his survival and coming of age against the background of South Africa during and just after World War II."  The boy must be the One, right?

Well, of course.  He is.  Little Peekay is sensitive boy.  He gets, at an unusually young age, that some things matter and some don't and like any decent literary hero, the things that matter to him are the good things in life.  Truth.  Dignity.  Honor.  

These virtues seem to come to him naturally, because his family life is sadly lacking.  His mother is a neglegent born-again who tears him away from the only mother he's ever known - a Zulu who talks to him, unlike his own blood relatives,  and teaches him her ways.  His love for her is a theme that carries throughout the novel.

Which brings me back to the idea of the "One."  This nurse-maid also becomes a "One."  As the story follows Peekay throughout his life in a harsh South Africa, colorful characters all take their turn being powerful "one"s - or influences in Peekay's life.  Peekay is the tie that holds this goodness together, but through him and with their collective help, that one became many and the many became one.  It's a beautiful idea and masterfully told by Bryce Courtenay.

If you read it, you'll fall in love with Peekay, his boxing mentor, Hoppie, Doc, and even a chicken, Grandpa Chook.  You'll also learn a lot about boxing and the struggle between the Afrikaners and English as well as their mutal mistreatment of blacks in their country.  Most importantly, you'll discover a boy who learns that anything can be accomplished if he does it "first with his head, then with his heart."

8 comments:

Jen Childers said...

Sounds good!

Lindsay said...

And then you can watch Matt Damon in the movie! Surely not as good as the book but still worth watching.

Kelly said...

I love your book reviews. This one is definitely going on my list.

Lucy said...

It's a good one. I think there is a movie adaptation, but I don't think it's Invictus. I think it's older than that although I have never seen it.

Be prepared for lots and lots of boxing talk. A little too much, I think. But still such a great book.

Lindsay said...

The movie with Matt Damon is called The Power of One. You should watch in it. You know, in all your free time.

Lucy said...

I cannot find that movie, Lindsay! The only Power of One movie I can find was made in 1992 and has a bunch of actors I've never heard of in it. But, I think this would be a good movie, though they'd probably have to leave a lot out of it as the book meanders around quite a bit. But, that's every movie adaptation of a book, right?

melanie said...

It is a good movie and not surprisingly, with your review, now I want to read the book.

Lindsay said...

Okay, I just realized I was remembering it wrong. It is the 1992 movie but it stars Stephen Dorff, not Matt Damon. Morgan Freeman is in it too. I'm sure the movie leaves a lot out but I remember really liking this one.