Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas 2009

We had  a great Christmas this year.  Here's proof.

First things first, I changed my hair color.  I thought it was noticeably different, but my sister, who has even darker brown hair, was unimpressed.  Still, it is darker.



Christmas Eve was spent at Jay's parent's house.  We had a lovely dinner at a beautiful table, of which I forgot to take a picture.  Must have had something else (ahem...food) on the brain.


Later, we kicked off the festivities with a musical program.  Jay and Derek performed a couple of trumpet/trombone duets.  For a guy who really only picks up this brass instrument every couple of years, I have to say, he's still got it.





Delanie is a budding writer.  She wrote a lovely poem and shared her original work with everyone.



I sang.



Vaughn Sr. recited the spoonerism, "The Goose Who Laid The Golden Egg"  perfectly.



Stephanie created a really fun memory game matching Christmas clues with candy bars (i.e. Dove=Symbol of Peace, Cost of Christmas=100 Grand, Elves=Runts).


Sarah made a match with "The Sound of Walking In the Snow" with Nestle Crunch.



Vaughn Jr. made the traditional rice pudding with an almond hidden in one of the bowls (winner gets a prize)



The comes the annual pinata (or pini-ta-ta, as it's become known).  Everyone got a turn starting youngest to oldest.



Seth hit so hard the plastic tie broke and Grandpa lost the safety of the broom.



I think Delanie scared Grandpa a bit.



Derek broke it through and my little candy mongers were all over the scene.



Jay kept on top of where Santa was by frequently checking the NORAD Santa watch app on his phone.



Ethan was the youngest cousin there and made his cuteness rounds a few times.



Just some of the unscripted action in the house.




Clark and Stephanie broke all the rules by making Vaughn and Karen open a gift on Christmas Eve (not allowed while their children were growing up).



They got pajamas.  Vaughn was particularly dashing in his demure jammies.



The cute couple.



Then we went home to open our own Christmas Eve jammies.



It was nice to have Sarah here so that I could finally have a non-blurry/non-timer shot of our family in our pajamas.   We had a red/cream/brown theme this year.



Then a goofy picture, because it was late.



My kids do not get up especially early on Christmas morning and never have.  This is Henry coming out of his room around 6:45 (which is when they all wake up on any given day).



Ummmmmm.....momma got a size too big, me thinks.



It was fun to have my sister, Sarah, here celebrating with us.  This is her opening up one of her presents.



I love the first few moments of gift opening, when they can hardly contain their glee.  Seth opened this gift from his brother, a map of the United States, and declared, "It's perfect!  Thank you, Sam!" and meant every word.



Henry fed us all with his new kitchen.



Some presents from Grandma and Grandpa.



Hey...might as well get an early start if he wants to grow up to be like his daddy.



Henry really would have been content with only candy and gum as gifts.  He ate chocolate and pez candies pretty much non-stop this morning.



Doesn't it look like fun?  Hope your day was as...explosive...as ours.



Merry Christmas!!!  

10 comments:

Kelly said...

Looks like fun. I miss being there for Christmas. Matt's jammies are huge too. Ooops. Ribs turned out great. Thank you. Merry Christmas

Kelly said...

I noticed the hair even before reading the caption. Very cute!

Would Sarah be so kind as to guest post all of her memory game clues, or at least dictate so you can email it to me? I'd love to mooch for a party next week.

Love the last two pictures, that's Christmas all right! Substitute Pez for Coco Puffs and Henry and I on the same diet. I stood the mess until 1, then had the whole thing cleaned up. Quincy looked around and said "aw, it's not Christmas anymore."

{krista} said...

haha, love that last picture... looks like Christmas threw up at your house! What a fun time you had. Great pictures, and LOVE your hair!

Jen Childers said...

Merry Christmas! Love the hair and all the pics! Looks like a very wonderful day:)

Tara said...

Love the hair...I do think it's noticeably different and think it looks great!

What a fun Christmas Eve party. Glad you guys had a great holiday, which is evident in your fabulous Christmas morning mess. Definitely looks like fun!

Merry Christmas!

BAK said...

Lucy, I love your hair. It looks fabulous!

It looks like you had a great day. I wish we were closer!! Merry Christmas!

donna said...

YOUR hair looks great!
Looks like your family had a wonderful Christmas. :)

Catherine said...

Finally a picture of Karen. Looks like you had a wonderful time. Looks like Vaughn Sr is loosing weight. Hope Clark and Stephanie are well.
Give them all my love.
Cathy

Lisa said...

Hair looks awesome Lucy! Loved that last photo too of the "after" photo

Barb said...

I very much vicariously enjoyed your Christmas! And I thought of you as we turned off the highway that would have taken us to Durango. Had it been a better year financially we would have come your way for some skiing before we imposed ourselves on my brother. Oh well.