A month ago, we met an out-of-town photographer up at the local ski resort for a family photo session. The session was the most fun I have ever had taking pictures. It's a husband and wife team and they were goofy and funny and encouraging and never, ever demanding. I figured because we were having so much fun, that the pictures would turn out perfectly.
Well...I don't think they did. Those things that photographers usually tell you to do, like "straighten your head" or "put your hands down" might have helped me love some certain photos better. In each one, there seems to be someone or something out of place. Like, towards the later part of the session, my bangs look horrible! I wished someone would have said, "Did you want your bangs to be split down the middle like that or were you wanting all of them to go straight down?" Because, my favorite picture is tainted by my split bangs. I want to love it because my kids are cute, and my husband is cute and we look happy and snug. But. Those bangs! I just want to get out a comb!
It's also hard to do all the communicating via email. The package came with a 16X20 which is, by far, the largest pictures I have ever had of us. I thought I had made a good decision - choosing a vertical shot because I thought it would look better in a large frame and choosing one that captured the best of most, and not just the best of me.
Well, what I thought were squinty eyes due to smiling on a proof on the computer turned out to be the start of a blink in a 16X20! I will just have to be content that it was the best shot of everyone else. Man, it's like I'm all consumed by me, or something:)
So, here they are. Expect something similar to be coming your way in the next month or so by way of Christmas cards. Act surprised and delighted.
Enjoy, Mom!
What I wished I would have chosen for our 16X20.
I would have liked a more close-up of Seth, but this is so totally him right now that I love this shot.
I can't believe this is the best shot of Henry she got. He's really photogenic. I was expecting more.
She got some great ones of Jay and Henry, which is kind of funny since Henry is a total mama's boy. Still...adorable. 
Loved the rock shots. Wish Sam's head wasn't resting on Jay like that.








18 comments:
I love your pictures. I totally get that you don't, because I feel the same way in pictures of myself, but from me, I think you look beautiful!! Love the colors you chose, love the ones of the boys. Even the one with Sam resting his head. thomas went through this phase when he was 4 that every picture I took, he had his head to the side (like way, way to the side). I looked funny back then, but now I love it, because that was him then. So, that was my thought when I saw that picture, because I loved it, too (the Sam resting one, I mean.)
What a cute family! I love your family.
I love them all. Never noticed squinty eyes or split bangs on my own. What a fun photo shoot--it shows.
I love these so much! I think you are being too hard on them -- like Jane said, I never would have noticed your eyes (even blown up to 16x20) or the bangs. You look happy and real, and I think they are fabulous.
Oh, I know I am, kelly. it's my gift in life. I have discovered this last week, when so many colliding events created my own season of discontent, that I am, apparently, very hard to please. Which is a HUGE surprise.
It just wish I could get what I wanted without having to complain or demand it. Just - people doing good work and being fair because it's the right thing to do....not because I threatened them with legal action or became a squeaky wheel.
I do like these pictures. I am disappointed that I didn't see an enlarged picture of the 16X20 because I wouldn't have chosen it if I had. Kids not looking at the camera be damned! I need to not have funky eyes.
Still, it was great fun and these pictures remind me of how much I completely adore my family.
Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate them. and I hope to be less finicky soon.
I love them too! But I've never been satisfied with my pictures so we must be related!
The colors you chose for your clothes look so great in these pictures with the beautiful sunshine you got for your photo shoot.
Say it with me: SULTRY eyes. You look great!
I think your 'squinty' picture is sassy. Seriously, you look very cute in it. And you ROCK that purple top. Your boys are so cute. Is Seth still a head taller than everyone else in class?
Seth actually has several really tall friends. He is still tall, but kids are catching up. He's still a total string bean. Gotta cinch up those slim jeans! Lucky kid. :)
thanks, Barb. I never, ever would have reached a sultry interpretation without your help. Now, I can move and and simply hope that when people come to our home, and see our large family picture, they won't think I'm coming on to them.
Because I haven't liked a picture of myself since the 9th grade and have none showing anywhere in our home, I get that you think you see flaws, but there are none. These are great!
In 20 years you'll look at these and love them, and isn't that what we take pictures for? To look at after time has passed? Also, I'd think there was something wrong with you if you did want to spend your days gazing at a 16x20 of yourself!
But whatever, there is nothing wrong with any of these pictures, I think they are beautiful, ditto everyone else's comments on the colors and family and just awesome. Well done!
I think they turned out so good! I LOVE all of those fall colors.
Your family is so adorable and the boys are getting so big. I thought all the pictures were adorable. I have found that I always like my family pictures better after a couple of years have passed.
lucy I think they're fabulous and what a beautiful location. You're definitely being too hard on yourself.
It's interesting after doing family shoots myself I've found if you make the mom look good everyone else looks good too. You look beautiful and like you said, perfect pictures are for perfect families.
What a beautiful day (and location)for family portraits. The last time we did a big Smith family portrait outside we got rained on... so badly that the photographer had to do a bit of magic (photo editing) so they wouldn't look so bad!
I love the bold colors chosen for all of the outfits! Your boys are so handome... and I think you look great - sultry eyes and everything!
My thoughts have already been mentioned by other people but I will add my agreement to the others that I NEVER would've noticed the eyes or the bangs.
I wonder if even the families that are perfect enough to have their portraits displayed in studios also feel that everyone else's pictures turn out better than their's. I know I ALWAYS feel that way. But really, yours did turn out super great!
Lucy, I love the location, the colors and mostly your happy face. You don't look stressed at all!
My sister in law dabbles in photography (who doesn't these days) so since the price of free was just right. We did it a few weekends ago, it was not easy. I had higher expectations too with posing and faces. All realistic, I'm sure of it! I like myself in one photo and no one else looks good. I just may pick it, :).
They're great. I am really glad you got them. Give it a little time and look at them again and I bet you will love them. :)
YOU look beautiful!
What's a family photo without a story to go behind the scenes?
Your colors are awesome. There are some really good shots in there! Perfect pictures have been photoshopped to death and don't really indicate the people being photographed. These are real and they are beautiful.
Post a Comment