but not by much.
Church was bad today.
(stopping to see if any lightning is nearby).
Not all bad. Just some pretty big moments. Like....
me playing prelude until the sole bishopric member in town (which may or may not be someone I live with) stood up to begin the meeting, then switching out with our actual organist who is still figuring things out with her newborn.
me realizing there was no chorister so just staying on the stand to lead the music.
me making eye contact with a woman who started lipping, "Are you leading the music?" coupled with some helpful arm-waving actions in case I didn't understand, with me lipping back, "I guess." With her, "Do you want me to?" My reply, "Were you supposed to?" Then she, "I was asked." With me thinking "then why aren't you up here?" but lipping, "I'll just do it." All very incognito, of course (or not). Luckily my mother-in-law had offered to sit with my boys, even though she is not in my ward. Angel woman.
the sweet, older blind man who bore his testimony, covering such topics as never going to our local hospital because they will try to kill you,the risks of smoking, being like Job, having Heavenly Father strike his friends dumb to prove his faith, and prayer.
the blind man, who was still going strong twenty minutes later when the meeting was due to end, so that a member of the bishopric, who may or may not be someone I live with, had to stand up and whisper in his ear that his time was up.
me looking like a Japanese tourist through the next hour trying to find and pull women out of meetings so that I can get their pictures taken and printed for Wednesday night's enrichment. I'm such a procrastinator!
our relief society lesson which included role playing. Young women played the mothers and women played the daughters and our very own member of our ward who is an actual policeman came in as...a policeman (not in uniform though). The situations included daughters who said they were going to a movie with friends missing hours later, daughters who said they were going to hang out at a friends house being busted for underage alcohol consumption and a daughter who jumped off a bridge into the river, and, was injured. Throw in a few comments about being legally liable for someone who passes out from being drunk and never waking up to needing cell phones in case your child calls you somewhere from a forest, drunk and only in his/her underwear and you've got all the ingredients for being spiritually fed.
It was just one of those weeks. You know?
So, I'll just restate what a member of our bishopric said at the end of fast and testimony meeting, who may or may not be someone I live with.
The church is true.
Heavenly Father loves us.
We are all His children.
To lift my spirits, I tried to take pictures of my boys after church. They weren't very cooperative, but they sure are cute!
Sunday, September 06, 2009
It Could Have Been Worse...
Posted by
Lucy
at
3:14 PM
Labels: Sunday Thoughts
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


22 comments:
Excellent use of the now famous Farming Game quote, "It could be worse, but not by much."
This is for the annals. What a funny, funny day. Oh ho. What a funny day.
I like the punching photo the best. My poor son with no brother.
I have been in YWs for nearly 4 years now and I am afraid to be released and attend RS. This post didn't help ;-)
You're right. It could have been worse... but not by much! So sorry!
Oh dear. Those kinds of meetings make me so darn uncomfortable.
But you're right about the boys. They look so cute all dressed up for church.
I'm just impressed that you could still find the ties AFTER church. That never happens at my house.
Have you seen the blog "Overheard in the Ward?" That might do you some good today. Lots of laughs.
They *are* way cute. :)
Hey, Gerbera Daisy sent me over here and says you review books. Would you pop me a note and let's talk some books? tristipinkston@gmail.com
Every picture I scrolled down to I thought "This is my favorite" until I got to the final, then I just melted. Except the first of Sam and Seth is great too. And I bet if you show the boys these photos, they'll enjoy looking at themselves this way much more than if you showed them perfect portraits.
My Sunday was your Sunday's cojoined twin. Someone asked me recently if I "just feel the spirit so strongly every Sunday since being called to Primary." Un, NO! So I've had to fight harder to find it the rest of the week, and it almost makes these kinds of Sundays that much sweeter because I feel more prepared to see shenanigans as people genuinely doing their best.
A visit to our ward here in Montreal will put your experiences to rest. I don't talk much about my experiences in my home ward here, but they compare to yours every Sunday - without fail. It keeps life interesting and allows me to remember that no matter what the ward or the people in the ward - it's your testimony and the gospel that count.
I love every photo, certainly a wonderful reminder of the joys of family and Sunday!
What cute pictures - on an eventful sunday!
At least Henry didn't crawl on the organ foot pedals?? :p
Love the pictures, especially the action shots. Little Henry looks so much older.
Wow what a Sunday! I wonder what your Sunday will be like next week?
YES, The church is true.
Oh, Sundays!!! I always look forward to Sundays - then Sunday happens and I totally wonder why it is supposed to be a special day. Guess we just have to keep trying.
Good thing you are so multi-talented with playing and leading music. Hope next week is a little more calm.
Oh, Sundays!!! I always look forward to Sundays - then Sunday happens and I totally wonder why it is supposed to be a special day. Guess we just have to keep trying.
Good thing you are so multi-talented with playing and leading music. Hope next week is a little more calm.
Perhaps they should just make you the music chair. Man, what a Sunday!
As far as the photos. I think their awesome. You definitely have to take what you can get. That photo of Henry is priceless and so sweet!
It sounds like you are one lucky ward to have such a solid bishopric member. Aren't we so fortunate to live in an area where we get to have such colorful meetings. You know how much I love that! Those pics are really cut of the boys. Is that your new fun camera?
I think I embarrassed Jay even further by telling him after sacrament meeting that his face turned as red as his tie when he stood up. The scoutmaster standing nearby starting laughing and said, "you're right!" Poor Jay. Ryan had just leaned over before Jay stood up and said, "it's time for Jay to pull out the hook." So awkward. And it actually started out pretty well.
Cute pictures of your funny boys. They made primary delightful with their knowledge of the stories of David & Goliath and Daniel in the Lion's Den.
Lucy's blog is a rare treat for me these days. I've spent all day with your page up - snatching up posts whenever I get a minute (literally, only a minute or two).
I am not at all surprised you are a bishopric wife now. Seems that happens once you get settled and have managed to keep it together through residency. Chad is sticking to the "Coke a Day keeps the Big Callings Away" strategy, which is working well for us.
I love your classics list. I've been trudging through about 4 a year for the past 3 years. Not easy reading, those. I'm so disappointed that Uncle Tom's Cabin did not make your final list. I know you considered it, and I hope you will add it to the top of the list next year (kind of how Twitch didn't make SYTYCD the first time he auditioned, then he dominated the next year). Point is, I hope UTC will be next year's Twitch.
I'm wondering how I could get my hands on one of your killer CD mixes. See? I have no problem asking for things. Must be my lack of pride :)
If it makes you feel any better, I ran my own battery dead a few months ago while chatting with one of my YW about the Twilight series. I was pretty embarrassed when her dad finally showed up to pick her up from the activity, and he had to jump my car before leaving :) Happens to the best of us.
So you're still renting the same place, huh? Sounds like Dave Ramsey still has a firm hold on your heart. Good for you. I am truly, wonderfully impressed. You are a good example to those of us chomping at the bit to spend a fortune (which we don't have) as soon as the post-residency gates open. Easy there, cowboy, I'll keep telling myself.
That's as far as I got today. Maybe I'll catch up on book reviews tomorrow.
Love you Luc.
That is possibly the most awesome RS lesson ever, and if anyone is ever unwise enough to call me to teach in RS, I'm totally using it, just to make them sorry.
Just think, if one of your kids calls you drunk, from the woods, in their underwear, you'll be prepared. Huzzah!
I definitely think those pictures would make it all better. So cute.
love how you summed it up...really that's all we need to know to make the difference.
seriously roll playing...what?
Catching up with you tonight is giving me a case of the giggles- and I thank you. Roll playing? REALLY???
Your boys melt me.
Post a Comment