Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sunday Thoughts

Being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints AND being one who reads most of her news online, my week was filled with daily updates about a certain cable television station that was choosing to include details about the LDS endowment ceremony, including temple clothes, in an upcoming episode. Troubling, sickening, disappointing, of course, if you happen to be a member of the LDS church who cares about such things. But major fodder for ridicule, loud laughter, evil speaking and rudeness if you don't.

After reading the articles, which all basically said the same thing, I read some of the hundreds of comments that followed. My stomach plummeted as I read horrible things said about Joseph Smith and the church. According to plenty, Mormons are robots, zombies, idiots, hypocrites, morons, cultish, sexual deviants, etc. etc. etc. Who do they mean? Are they talking about me?

I think it's natural for anyone to bask in good press and blush or feel the urge to fight back when the subject of bad press. While the reasons for those feelings may seem obvious, I've often wondered why I prefer the label "normal." After reading those hurtful comments, I suppose the most honest reason I can come up with is because I am normal. I speak in normal sentences. I eat normal things. I wear normal clothes. I live in a normal house. I am raising a normal family. Of course, I want the credit for being so.

But, then something like this happens, and my beliefs - which I DO believe, are so mocked and treated with such scorn and derision that I am reminded that by the world's standards, I am most definitely not normal. The world thinks that I am bizarre.

I don't think knowing something spiritually is much different than knowing you're in love. It's personal and impossible to prove and the person's only means of sharing that intimate experience with the rest of the world is to say, "I believe." or "I love ______." And yet, the two statements are not treated the same. When you're in love with someone, your spirit and body recognize that fact. The world accepts and understands because being in love is a common enough experience that if you say so, most won't respond by declaring you an ignoramus. Spiritual knowledge, on the other hand, is quickly dismissed as foolish tradition.

So, while the world says it can't be so, I say it can. With both head and heart, I believe that Joseph Smith was the individual who Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ entrusted with the restoration of Christ's gospel. That gospel includes truth and knowledge that was lost but regained through the translation of the Book of Mormon and other scripture, as well as priesthood keys necessary to officiate important ordinances necessary for exaltation- some of which are performed in temples. I believe that all of this happened because I have felt it to be true when I have asked. I have felt it's truth when I have lived it. I can't prove it. But I know. Just like I know I love Jay.

Of course, I wish that something that I hold sacred and reverent was treated as such by the rest of the world. Unfortunately, holiness, reverence and respect are increasingly foreign ideas these days. Valiance too. Our lesson in Relief Society today was on Being Valiant In The Cause of Christ. At one point, the teacher read a quote about the early saints "cheerfully" pressing forward in the face of persecution. I thought about that. Confrontation - online, on a street corner, or even privately - is not my thing. But I can be cheerful. And I can be valiant. I hope by bearing my own simple testimony, that I am likewise being valiant in the cause of Christ.

16 comments:

Jen Childers said...

Thanks for posting. You are eloquent in the way you express your thoughts. I loved it.

Kay Scott said...

Amen, Lucy. Great attitude (when there's so much out there we can't change). Awesome post.

Anonymous said...

I loved this. I wish I had something more eloquent to say in response to this well written post, but I don't. I just loved it, and I'm glad you shared it.

donna said...

Great post Lucy! :)

Kristin said...

Well said Lucy!!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Articulate and timely. Thanks, Lucy.

Carolee said...

That was so well said and I could not agree more. Thanks for sharing your point of view:)

Denise said...

I want to applaud, but that's not appropriate after a testimony. So I'll silently applaud your willingness to put yourself out there. I saw a short clip of the episode you're talking about on a morning news show, and it made me sick to my stomach. Because no matter how much the producers insist they're being extremely accurate and respectful in the depiction, the fact is that depicting it AT ALL, in any manner, is NOT respectful. It's amazing that they can't see that.

I can't read comments on the news stories; around here the local papers have a regular bunch of goons that bash the church at every possible opportunity. I start to read the comments and I have to stop after about the fourth one. I don't need that crap in my life.

Anyway, keep on keeping on. =)

ShelleyG said...

Loved this post Lucy! I too feel like I am normal, but I guess we as a Mormon sub-culture fit into the world less and less. I think I am OK with that too! I am so glad to know you and am so glad guys moved here. Thanks for articulating this so nicely. Amen girlfriend!

Molly Jae said...

I was sorry to see the same information that you did but was very interested in the response of the church. I think very wise. It is also mde more clear when we realize the sometimes ex-members are the ones most anxious to destroy the sacred. I didn't write something on one of your posts about Prop 8 here in California but I struggled with some of the things you said. I think after your week you can better see the atmosphere we are in. It may change some of your ideas....but alas we are sisters so I keep the peace.

Amie said...

Thanks for this... I relate to your feelings but don't articulate them nearly as well. I appreciate your willingness to bear your testimony, easier said than done for me.

Anonymous said...

I have read a few things here and there and I feel sad for all of you that feel so violated. And that this is all getting more coverage because of the controversy! It seems today that nothing can be kept secret anymore, like people think they have a right to know it all. I really appreciated reading this, it articulated how I imagine so many of my friends are feeling about this. I agree with the comparison to being in love, I have just never thought of it before!

Anonymous said...

I just re-read that after publishing, did it sound condescending??? I don't feel sad that it is offensive, just like my heart aches that it is happening because I can see why it would offend so many etc. Make sense?

Tara said...

Very well put.

I saw an image that appeared in TV guide as it was forwarded to me in an email. It was awful! I so wish I'd never seen it.

We're dealing with a bit of personal persecution with Alyssa's gym/Sunday meets issue again. It's so tough. I don't expect others to totally understand, but just some respect would make us feel a whole lot better.

It's so true that we view ourselves as normal, but then incidences such as these occur and the labels used to define us are definitely not synonomous with normal. Sad, but makes us stronger, right?

amy gretchen said...

I had no idea there was such bad publicity about the temple dedication, but I am in no way surprised.

I loved reading this. It made me miss you terribly. I'm so glad you shared this part of you.

Christi said...

Thanks for sharing this on your blog. I believe it too! I have felt like satan is working overtime lately. It's comforting to know that the work will continue and cannot be stopped.