Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Look Back Meme

***20 YEARS AGO (1989)***
1) How old were you? 13
2) Who were you dating? Eighth grade. I was tall. I had acne. There was no romance.
3) Where did you work? I was cleaning my dad's law office.

4) Where did you live? My home was in Montana but I didn't wear a bandana.
5) Where did you hang out? I spent a lot of time walking home from school with friends. Mostly at their or my house.
6) Did you wear contacts and/or glasses? Nope.
7) Who were your best friends? Jill, Diane, Kari, Maya, Brooke, Lisa (even though we had different groups of friends). My siblings - always.

8) How many tattoos did you have? 0
9) How many piercings did you have? 0
10) What kind of car did you drive? Jon let me steer the Subaru sometimes.
11) Had you been to a real party? Does real mean alcohol was there? Then no. But we had some pretty good times without it.

12) Had you had your heart broken. No. I didn't tell anyone who my crushes were on.
13) Were you Single/Dating/Taken/Married/Divorced? Single.
14) Any kids? NO.

***15 YEARS AGO (1994)***

1) How old were you? 18.
2) Who were you dating? March of my freshman year in college. I was googly eyed about a boy named Cory who worked at the Copy Center, but we only went on one date with each other. I spent A LOT of time crossing through the HBLL to check him out, though.
3) Where did you work? Mercifully - my freshman year was the only year of college when I didn't work.
4) Where did you live? M. Smith Hall at BYU. In the basement.
5) Where did you hang out? Twice a week at the Edge.
6) Did you wear contacts and/or glasses? No.
7) Who were your best friends? Jill and Diane via letters. Valerie and Michelle as roommates. My siblings - always.
8) How many tattoos did you have? None but there was a really close call that year. Thankfully - the tattoo parlor claimed they couldn't give me a Kokopelli on my hip, a shape I loved at the time and wore constantly on a chain.
9) How many piercings did you have? 5! Three in my left ear and two in my right. Years of suppression made me a little piercing happy. Thankfully, ears were still the only thing most people pierced or I may have more holes.
10) What kind of car did you drive? A piece of junk Ford Tempo.
11) Had you been to a real party? Yes. 1994 and 1995 were full of them.
12) Had you had your heart broken? Yes.
13) Were you Single/Taken/Married/Divorced? Single but dating.
14) Any kids? No.

***10 YEARS AGO (1999)***
1) How old were you? 23
2) Who were you dating? Jay and I had been married for a 2 1/2 years.
3) Where did you work? In a diagnostic virology laboratory at a Denver hospital.
4) Where did you live? We still lived in our one bedroom apt in Cherry Creek but we'd soon move to an apartment about a 1/2 mile away from the medical school and hospital. 766 1/2!
5) Where did you hang out? There wasn't a lot of hanging out this first year of med school. But we did make friends with several other couples in our ward that led to some of the best friendships of our lives.
6) Did you wear contacts and/or glasses? No.
7) Who were your best friends? Jay, Jill, Christi, Libby, my siblings - always.
8) How many tattoos did you have? None.
9) How many piercings did you have? I think I still had all 5 earrings in. This was before the other counsel was given.
10) What kind of car did you drive? Jay's Carribean Mist 1995 Subaru Impreza. I could spot our car anywhere.
11) Had you been to a real party? Not lately.
12) Had you had your heart broken? No. Jay solved that problem.
13) Were you Single/Taken/Married/Divorced? Married
14) Any kids? Nope. But we were desperately trying that year. And that was the year we finally got pregnant!

***5 YEARS AGO (2004)***
1) How old were you? 28
2) Who were you dating? Jay and I had been married for seven years.
3) Where did you work? At home.
4) Where did you live? In our California Split in Spokane.
5) Where did you hang out? At the park across the street. In the hospital cafeteria (free meals!)
6) Did you wear contacts and/or glasses? No - I've never needed them.
7) Who were your best friends? Jay, KariAnn, Andrea, Jen (who counts as one of my siblings but we were only two hours apart and we hung out a lot). My siblings - always!
8) How many tattoos did you have? None.
9) How many piercings did you have? I listened to a prophet's voice and cut back to two.
10) What kind of car did you drive? This was the year we purchased our first and probably last brand new car. A 2004 Chrysler Town & Country Minivan that I still drive.
11) Had you been to a real party? This question...bugs me. Yes. I love parties. I consider any party to be real.
12) Had you had your heart broken? Not in a long time.
13) Were you Single/Taken/Married/Divorced? Married
14) Any kids? 2. Seth was 4 and Sammy 1.

***TODAY (2009)***
1) How old are you? 33
2) Who are you dating? Jay still fills my dance card.
3) Where do you work? At home.
4) Where do you live? In a rental house.
5) Where do you hang out? At this rental house - WAY too much.
6) Do you wear contacts and/or glasses? No.
7) Who are your best friends? Jay. I'm in transition. I have lots of fantastic long-distance friendships and a few nice new friends here. And my siblings - always.
8) How many tattoos do you have? None
9) How many piercings do you have? 2 that I use.
10) What kind of car do you drive? Same minivan. It's a lot dirtier now.
11) Have you been to a real party? Not in a while.
12) Have you had your heart broken? Yes.
13) Are you Single/Taken/Married/Divorced? Married
14) Any kids? 3. The boys. My life.

6 comments:

BAK said...

OH, that was fun. I laughed when you said the Edge - I frequented that a few times myself. But it was never as fun for me as the Palace. Was the Palace still there when you were at the Lord's university? My two friends got arrested in the parking lot there one night. I would have been there, but I had snuck into King Henry apartment's swimming pool instead.

Ah, my life of delinquency. Still so fond of it. :)

Anonymous said...

"... my spurs are of silver, my pony is gray. While ridin' the ranges, my luck never changes ..."

I think that's a Montana Girls club theme song in the making! I totally have that song in my head now -- it will be sure to entertain the girls when they get home from school.

Tara said...

So fun to read! I learn something new every time.

I love that your siblings always make your best friends list.

donna said...

fun post. That is so wonderful that your sisters have always been your best friends.

Anonymous said...

If I did this list, mine would be so different, starting when I was 7! The real party question was bugging me- I mean really? What is a 'real' party?

andrea said...

Oh, take us back five years ago. Good times.