Today is school picture day. By 7:30 am (which is the time everyone has to be dressed, fed and in the van) my boys were looking absolutely dashing in their matching brown GAP shirts, dark denim jeans and newly groomed short haircuts. With Sam's missing bottom teeth and in spite of the crowding problem in Seth's own mouth, I've no doubt that I'll love these pictures (although I wasn't given the option not to since the order was due upfront. Scam).
Feeling nostalgic, I went and looked at Seth's past school pictures. He looks so young in his kindergarten picture where he's wearing a vivid, orange polo. First grade is much more subdued as he opted for the toothless smile in his red, cream and black rugby. And his second grade picture contains the new, too-large teeth in his...er....orange polo (apparently I like orange polos, although this particular shirt was much more of a burnt orange than its predecessor).
In each picture, his hair looks pretty much the same. Short. Side part. Subtle flip of his bangs in front. The exact hair style both he and Sam are sporting today.
After looking at Seth's pictures, I found the stack of my own 5 X 7 school portraits I acquired from my parents. It was then that I realized that this may be the last year I have any influence over Seth's appearance.
How I came to this realization can be seen by looking at my own history.
Kindergarten:
A little shell shocked, I think. Or post nap. No doubt I looked a little better earlier in the day with a more coiffed bowl haircut. But my matching purple shirt and skirt were adorable.
1st Grade:
I'm not sure why I'm wearing this polyester ensemble, as I have photographic proof that it is a hand-me-down of at least five years (Maureen is wearing it on Christmas day some years back), but I clearly had my hair curled that morning and my mother must have convinced me that I looked pretty.
2nd Grade:
I loved this dress. I remember it well because my sister, Jennifer, had a matching red one, only hers didn't have the lace sewn into the sleeve, and I loved that strip of lace. This was my favorite school picture for a long time. Probably until my senior year of high school.
3rd Grade:
My personality starts to poke through with the super grin to show off my new super teeth. Another pretty dress with sheer sleeves (hmmmmm). Bought by mother (although I'm thinking I may have had some say in it).
And then it happened. I, and not my mother, gained artistic control over my school picture "look". The results? Well....you'll see.
4th Grade:
I got myself a perm, a mullet and...wait a minute...a polo. I remember feeling good about this choice. But fourth grade was a bad year. A really bad year. It might have been the perm.
While he may choose his green shirt and red track pants next year (please, no) I admit it's probably time to cut the apron strings and let him start dressing himself. Well...he does already. A lot of the days. But, for school, I always have veto power and since I still buy his clothes, it's kind of a puppet regime anyways. No matter what he wears, however, I fervently hope that he won't follow in his mother's footsteps and scribble out the checked box next to "traditional background" and insert his own check mark next to "scenic background" like I did in sixth grade.
I don't know how I thought I'd sneak it past my mother. It's not like she wasn't going to notice the busy fall background that stuck out like a sore thumb next to her five other children's conservative grey/blue. But, once I knew about that fake wheelbarrow, there was no turning back.
Thursday, September 25, 2008
End of an Era
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



16 comments:
Bwah! But if it is any consolation to your mom, when I didn't even notice the fall background until you pointed it out.
I love how your looks over the years change enough you resemble each of your kids at some point. In your kindergarten pictures I though, SAMMY! But then the next one I though, no, maybe Seth...after seeing these, I'm thinking shallow gene pool for sure. See if you can get your hands on some 5x7s of Jays for comparison sake. I liked this!
Oh gee! Why did you stop? This is great....please, please, let's see the rest and hear your editorial comments, too! "I got myself a perm, a mullet and...wait a minute...a polo" and "I always have veto power and since I still buy his clothes, it's kind of a puppet regime anyways."
More, Lucy, more!
I loved this! And we were obviously girls of the same era growing up in Montana because some of your clothes look really awfully familiar. Especially the shirt in your last photo. So funny. And what is up with having to place the order before you see the photos? It has not worked out well for me.
I'm laughing out loud right now, Lucy. Ha! Anything you write about is interesting. I'll add my "More!" to Jane's.
p.s. the puppet regime line is still cracking me up.
oh what great pictures..I also had a perm mullet one year..........
I actually had a polo for my fourth grade photo too. Apparently that was cool right? Oh, and I had some major feathered hair going on as well. Ahhh good ol 80's.
Those are great pictures. I have a very similar 4th grade picture. Same haircut, but I added my own style to my bangs and cut them way short and crooked. And I wore a sweatshirt that had a dog on it but it got cut off halfway through the dog's head. Horrible, but funny now!
I'd like to think my veto power will last for many more years. I still set my kids clothes out for them as a way to make sure everything matches. Caleb will still make last minute changes from what I've picked and I can usually let it go but for picture day, I'll be doing the selecting.
Love the story about you changing the background.
I hope you don't mind me linking to you from cjane. I am trying to spread the word about a Nie project I am starting, check it out at www.quilt4nie.blogspot.com or on her benefit blog. Thank you! Candice
Ok, I have to say you were the cutest little girl ever. I see so much of Seth and Sam looking at those pictures.
I am not a fan of school pictures, but I order them every year for my girls because I want them to have what I have...funny pictures to look back on. Your pictures are priceless. I love to see little Lucy.
Oh man...those pics are great! They look just like mine.
Feathered hair, polos.
Remember those giant combs we all kept in our back pockets?
Cute post Lucy
Lucy, I love reading your blog! I like the way your brain works and how you write about it! Love the school pictures. It made me want to dig mine out! I like the name of your blog too. ;) I feel important knowing the inside story on it.
My kids have gotten school picture outfit control younger and younger as I have gotten more and more tired. Chloe only had input from me in kindergarten. Good thing she has a big sister to help her put it together.
I too, had the permed mullet in elementary school. I hate to admit that it went into Jr. High, as well. I had to laugh at the "veto power." I like to tell myself that my kids are independent and able to dress themselves. But it is a serious puppet regime around here. I just never thought about it that way until you so cleverly pointed it out! :)
Lucy! The matching outfits--do your remember. Oh how I would LOVE to dig up my picture as well.
Post a Comment