
This is a warning to anyone who doesn't even want to look at a review of Eclipse until they've read it. Repeat, this is a warning. If you want to know nothing about the novel, look away (Chloe...I gave you fair warning!)
Here are my feelings about the third book in the Vampire series by Stephenie Meyers. Bella bugs. She really, really bugs and everyone lets her get away with it which ticks me off. I can hardly stand to be in her head when she narrates. And yet....
I loved it. Why? I have been asking myself that for over a day now, because most of these characters annoy me to no end, the writing isn't really that great, the dialogue downright cheesy and the story didn't progress enough for a book that was over 500 pages. I think the answer is that this story, this dangerous love story between Bella and Edward, evokes an actual physical response from me when I read about them. I guess I enjoy the tightening in my chest and the flipping of my stomach. I also love the conflict, the setting and the fantasy.
I don't know what to say about Bella. She is, by far, the best developed character in the series. We get to know her thoughts, her motivation, her reasoning and even though I think the author wants us to, I still really don't like her. She is suppose to be so mature for her age (would never let her mother jump out of airplane, because she is the parent figure in that relationship) but has some completely irrational and irritating need to suck the joy out of anyone who tries to do something nice for her, like give her a gift. That doesn't fit in with the personality of an old-soul. She's moody and unreasonable and I can't figure out why everyone wants to be around her because she seems like a downer to me.
Edward has been my favorite character throughout the last two books (even though he was disappointingly absent for much of New Moon and then when he was in it he could have been mistaken for Eeyore), but I don't think she progresses his character at all in the way she originally developed him. Edward was kind of the rebel/bad boy of the vampires in Twilight. There, he was independent and reckless, willing to take a huge risk by giving in to his attraction to Bella. Even though he was attracted to her, he still managed to show some personality. He was kind of sarcastic, enjoyed watching her squirm, a bit with his non-human abilities, and WAY more lighthearted than the uberprotective boyfriend he has turned into. I think he could still play a little more hard to get and independent. I think he needs a responsibility besides protecting Bella so that he has some of his own conflict. He at least needs to get mad at Bella when she deserves it.
The other characters are equally flawed, but not in the way that makes them believable. Jacob should be more jealous. Physically, he may have aged to 25 through his mutation, but emotionally, he is sixteen. Sixteen year olds don't always see the big picture and I think I would feel their connection more believable if there was more than their past friendship that left Edward out. Bella and Jacob have much more in common than Bella and Edward do, and their commonality should be the connection between them, not Bella's compassion or concern for Jacob's pain at becoming a werewolf or gratitude for his friendship when Edward left. I think the author tried to show their like-mindedness at times, like riding motorcycles (the ONE time Edward feels left out - but of course he handled it like a champ) but she didn't go far enough. It would make much more sense in the end when Bella realized she was in love with Jacob too. I think the author forced a realization that wasn't really there.
I liked the love triangle but never felt that Bella would, could or should choose Jacob. Edward was always the better choice and as we knew Bella's mind, we knew that he always would be. I can see what Meyer tried to build up for the next book, but unless Edward does something drastically to change, like gets a big ol' hard pot belly, Bella would never choose not to be with him. There is no competition. With all three books, that point has been hammered home.
Outside of the story, I have to mention my slight annoyance at Meyer's indifferent attitude towards her responsibility to her LDS teenage fans. She has to be aware of the craze that she has started. I had heard about it, but it really is a phenomenon here in Utah. I think her success is independent of her LDS background, but I do think when people, parents particularly, have that knowledge, they feel a little more safe allowing their children to enjoy these books. She actually reminds me a bit of Benji, from So You Think You Can Dance. I think it would be a horrible thing to become famous and be LDS. Automatic ambassadorship without being asked. As Benji horribly disappoints in that un-appointed ambassadorship, so does Meyer with this book. Teenage girls who read this will be exposed to another teenage girl who repeatedly thinks, says, feels that if you believe you're going to be with someone for forever, marriage is unnecessary and old-fashioned solution to progress a sexual relationship. It is only Edwards old-fashioned virtue, maturity and control that keeps Bella chaste. And her chastity annoys her. What a great message for girls who might be struggling with a similar situation. Chances are good, however, that most of the seventeen year old boys they want to be with don't have Edward's point-of-view. It's irresponsible to let the brakes be in someone else's power. But, like I said, Meyer certainly doesn't wear a Mormon badge and I don't think I'd judge another author harshly for doing the same thing. With my own awareness, though, I think she disappoints in this regard.
Eclipse is better than New Moon but Twilight is still my favorite book of the three. Regardless of ranking, Eclipse does its job and kept me entertained for hours.
Monday, August 20, 2007
Book Review #12 - Eclipse
Posted by
Lucy
at
8:46 AM
Labels: Book Review
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
My verdict is still out on the book. I read your review....and I don't think you gave anything away, just opinions on characters.
I do however see the concern for the audience she is writing to. I think it is really hard for LDS individuals to become famous for that very reason. I mean look at Lacey? Back to Meyers, I cringed when she was talking about sex with her dad in the beginning. And of course there were a few other risque' parts with Edwards new bed. I will agree that New Moon wasn't as good (at least as far as I can tell) I guess we'll just have to wait until next August when New Dawn is release.
I really liked this book. But... I know that it is flawed. And, I hated the censorship that I kept feeling while reading the "romantic parts." I thought over and over that I wouldn't want my teenage daughters reading this. It is probably "clean" compared to other choices, but I agree that I was let-down by the LDS author.
I think Twilight is the best book too.
I keep picking up and putting down Twilight. It's good.
Anyway, you gave a great review of Eclipse for me if I get that far!! I always feel guilty sitting down reading for that long, hmmm wish I felt the same guilt with the computer!
You made some great points, especially that last one about the Author and her "responsibility" toward her LDS audience and the chastity.
You gave a great review, I haven't read Eclipse yet but what you wrote is exactly what I've heard others say about it, Twilight is the best. I also don't think there is any decision between Jacob and Edward! Bella has made it clear that it is Edward and always Edward! I think that she could have made it better if she had persued the relationship with Jacob before she brought Edward back in, but since she didn't I totally knew there would never be suspense with who she chose.
I love your writing, your review was so well written, I wish I was a better writer.
I think Stephenie Meyer is trying to walk the edge. She doesn't want to sell out and compromise her beliefs, but she is under pressure from the publishers to put more sex in her books. She's stated in several interviews that they wanted more in the books, and she had to work hard to convince them that her books should stay clean.
I think she's giving in a little. Eclipse really bothered me for that reason. REALLY bothered me. I liked the book, but I was ticked off that the heroine was doing her best to convince Edward to compromise his morals. What sort of lesson is that? I really think it's the author's way of getting around having to write a graphic scene; Bella wants it, they'll talk about it, they'll be tempted by it, but they won't actually do it. Maybe we were supposed to gain more respect for Edward, but it killed whatever tiny liking I might have had for Bella.
I found it contrived and annoying. And I'm with you, Bella is one moody chick who just needs a good spanking once in a while. And yet, I like the books, and I'm sure I'll keep reading. And I'll continue to be annoyed at an author who proclaims her LDS values, drawing in and making money from a large LDS fan base, while throwing in "Biblical" swear words and a would-be seductress as the heroine.
After cooling off for a few days, I still feel just as disappointed in Meyer but think I need to lighten up a bit on the rest of the review. It certainly didn't come across that I liked the book, and I did. I can't wait for the next one. I think I was just so mad at her for not making chastity cool and capable that I felt I needed to pick apart the rest of the book, kind of like I found myself picking apart Lacey's dances this season on SYTYCD.
Besides, I kind of forgot to actually review the book. But, you have to admit, the story wasn't really there this time. When I try to think about the story line, it's like, oh...the last two weeks of school? I think she meant to have it be a bit more about the characters this time than about the story. O.K...I'll stop now. I need a bookgroup!
I actually liked this book the best of the three. Your review made me wonder why. I think its because I liked the character development even over the lack of story line. I also have felt that two versions of me dilemma Bella feels (though on a much smaller scale). I am rather annoyed at Edward for being so good, so static. I want him to stand up and fight for her a little more. Get mad at her. But I guess when you are immortal things might take on a different perspective.
I liked your review. And I need a bookgroup too.
Whew! I finally finished all three so now I can get on with my life. Why do I even read them?
I agree with you on so much, but New Moon was actually my favorite book. Mostly because Edward wasn't there! And because Bella started living her life beyond driving really fast between school home and the Cullens.
The story telling in Eclipse just dragged on and on for me, I did a lot of paragraph scanning. Definitely too much for a big fat novel with not enough outcome. I mean really, did we even think Jacob, Edward or Bella would die?
Bella is absolutely not an old soul. She is a teenage punk tease. And for her to be making these eternal choices in this frame of mind is just not right. Edward is right about her needing more of a human life and more experiences, but he is so wrong to be boo hooing about how he can't live without her either. He is a stinkin 100 year old man! Move on! The age gap just really bugs, especially because there is nothing mature about Bella's soul. Charlie needs to step up and be a man, ground the living daylights out of Bella, including sending the boyfriend out the door even between 7 and 9:30! (of course he'll only come in the window) and having a real life talk about sex. Get over the embarrassment.
Now I have to disagree with you on the Stephanie Meyers responsibility to her LDS readers. She isn't writing this as a religious work, she is writing a novel. You know how much Mormon Celebrity ticks me off, it is just like people thinking sports stars or movie stars are their role models. You can't hang your faith on someone else's example or non example then let them be a stumbling block. I know teenage girls are influential and all...I've gone on before about this. I think the author has kept it chaste enough, and if she chooses to make it less so...any teenage girl who thinks she can have sex because Bella did and Bella must hold the same standards as she because the author is LDS...that kid has a lot of flawed decision making problems that go way beyond reading teenage vampire romance novels.
Why do I get such a kick out of reading these? I am glad I have to wait a while for book 4. I've had a little vampire melodrama overload and I am too weak to refrain!
Hey Lucy! I have finally been able to read your review, and I totally agree with you and many of people who have commented. I loved what you wrote on Amy's blog about Bella losing an arm or ending up in ICU...Meyer would have stayed more true to the feel of the books had she let Bella and Edward do more in that regard. I understand that she has that tension within herself to keep it clean, to not promote teenage sexuality, but it was just so out of character that she betrayed her book by not allowing them to go farther. Eclipse has totally muddled my view of the trilogy; I can't remember the way I felt about the books because Eclipse ruined it for me. Sigh. So sad to be dissapointed. I wonder what the 4th book will be like, and whether she can redeem herself.
I also wonder what the book she originally wrote as the sequel to Twilight was like (in case you don't know, she wrote it & gave it to her sister!) and whether the book would have been more satisfying. I guess we will never know.
Anyhow, happy reading! And blogging!
I just finished last night and knew you would have a review. I've had that day-after-haze and wanted to read more about it. I actually liked Eclipse best. I thought it was better-written than the previous two.
What is it about Bella? She's not good enough for Edward. She is so whiney and even though there is a lot of drama with everything I don't understand their relationship very well. That is what is not developed in my mind. I think there was more developement toward the end and maybe that's why I liked this one the best and maybe why some like Twilight the best because there is some in there too.
Anyway, I will probably read the next one too. Thanks for the review.
I have been endlessly entertained while reading these books. I've needed the distraction, and these Stephenie Meyer books have done the trick. Yes Bella is very immature, but I am easily able to overlook how annoying she has become because I like the story and I don't want to think about house repairs anymore.
Oh yes...Bella BUGS.
And all these poor teenage girls the world over are not waiting for the teenage boys at school to be like Edward. Newsflash, NOT GONNA HAPPEN.
Thanks for your review!
Post a Comment